How Do You #Roar4Rare?
Thanks to The Pride of the Luka The Lion Foundation, in this past month, here's how we #Roar4Rare:
- Hosted over 150 soccer players, supporting fans, and volunteers at the 1st Annual #Roar4Rare Family Soccer game! Raised awareness of pediatric rare diseases, showed our support so kids and families never feel alone, and raised nearly $16,000 in in-kind and cash donations. Click here for event photos thanks to photography by ML Foncesca. Thanks to all who made this possible -- see you next year!
- 1 more family braving rare disease received individualized support to meet unique, unmet need including a bed alarm system not covered by insurance -- purchased on AmazonSmile
- #RememberNovember #LukaTheLion #ScarfChallenge each day to remember our time last year with Luka.
- #LukaTheLion #ScarfChallenge -- with an unbelievable Photo Gallery show of support.
- 1st Annual #Roar4Rare Family Soccer Game -- Thanks to everyone who came out to the soccer game
- Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island -- Thanks to the memory of Aunt Theresa
- World Series Champion Wrigley Field -- Thanks to Sean O'Brien and the Chicago Cubs
- Anfield, You'll Never Walk Alone -- Thanks to Audrey Paquet and Liverpool
- Engaged with partner organizations including UNC Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Department and United Church of Chapel Hill Alternative Craft Market
How do you #Roar4Rare? Complete our quick questionnaire, Email us, Tweet Us, join our public Facebook group for The Pride, like our Facebook page, and watch our videos on youtube.
UPCOMING EVENTS | Join Team #LukaTheLion
#HealWithMia #TarHeelTuesday #GivingTuesday
- Mark Your Calendar: Tuesday, November 29 is an international day of giving. Perhaps it's no coincidence that Luka's last day on earth was #GivingTuesday 2015.
- Make a difference: For one day only, the Mia Hamm Foundation has pledged to match every dollar given online to the Garret J. Hamm Fund up to $5,000. Money raised will support bone marrow transplant patients at UNC. Additionally, all donations received by the Luka The Lion Foundation on #GivingTuesday will go directly to kids and families at the UNC bone marrow transplant program for specialized holiday support.
- Meet the Barnes Family: Click here to watch a video on how your support helps families.
Race 13.1 Durham (5K, 10K or Half-Marathon)
Saturday, December 10, 2016 7:30 am (kids holiday fun run) & 8:00 am (race start)
1058 West Club Blvd., Durham
- REGISTER: Click here to register and use PROMO Code "LTL131" to save 10% and a portion of your registration fee will be donated to the Luka The Lion Foundation. Be sure to sign up for Team "#LukaTheLion," too!
- KID'S FUN: The kid's fun run is free with a suggested donation of $5 to the charity partner, Heart 2 Heart Collaborative, or an unused toy that will be donated to Duke Children’s Hospital patients. Holiday Fun Run participants will start and finish through the real Race 13.1 Durham start/finish arch and run a .5 mile loop through the race site. There will be a bounce house, face painting, and Santa Claus himself will be making an appearance!
AWARENESS | 1 in 10 people have a rare disease. That's 33 million people in the U.S. Half of these people are kids.
WHAT WE'RE READING | #RareDisaeses
SUPPORT | ALWAYS REMEMBER TO ROAR!
"Luka The Lion" by Bren Sparling
Order your Luka The Lion watercolor print and designs -- they have pillows and tote bags to name a few, makes for a beautiful holiday gift. 100% of proceeds go the Luka The Lion Foundation. Painted by one of Luka's nurses, talented artist, and wise one, Bren Sparling. Perhaps it's no coincidence that Bren taught us that there are "no coincidences" -- click here to read the whole story.
#Roar4Rare: Sean O'Brien
A proud member of The Pride and loyal Cubs fan, Sean knows how to show is support in unique ways. Here's to kids with rare diseases and their families so nobody ever feels alone made possible by Sean and the World Series Champion Chicago Cubs!
You are The Pride!
1. Need a #LukaTheLion Scarf 2.0?
How can you #Roar4Rare to help us support kids with rare diseases and their families?
2. Do you shop on Amazon? YES!
- Order your scarves today! 100% of sales goes directly to the Foundation to advance our mission.
- The March Forth scarves are limited edition, and we love the touch of the butterfly to honor Luka's older brother and fellow angel, Maks.
3. How do you #Roar4Rare for kids with rare diseases?
- Click here to link up your Amazon account with Luka The Lion Foundation so that 0.5% of eligible purchases can go directly to our nonprofit.
- The trick is you ALWAYS need to start your shopping at smile.amazon.com
- Invite 2-3 people in your life who are AVID amazon shoppers and ask them to link up their account to Luka The Lion Foundation to help kids with rare diseases and their families so they never feel alone
You are The Pride. Kids with rare diseases and their families thank you.
Always remember to roar,
Julia and Zach Fisher on behalf of the Luka The Lion Foundation Board of Directors
- Tell us!
- Donate online to support a kid braving rare disease and their family by providing unique, individualized support.
- Thanks to you, The Pride, we're amazed at our results so far to help kids with rare diseases and their families so they never feel alone.
For more about our story, visit: www.lukathelionfoundation.org