How Do You #Roar4Rare?
Thanks to The Pride of the Luka The Lion Foundation, in this past month, here's how we #Roar4Rare:
- Planned the 1st Annual #Roar4Rare Family Soccer game! Click here to sign up -- everyone who signs up by 10/30 is guaranteed an event t-shirt
- 1 more family braving rare disease received individualized support including a safety harness not covered by insurance, essential developmental supports for mobility, and supplies for unique cleaning and hygenie needs -- purchased on AmazonSmile
- #LukaTheLion #ScarfChallenge -- with an unbelievable Photo Gallery show of support.
- Russia -- Thanks to Mandy Laird
- Bull City Race Fest -- Thanks to Allison Bashor
- Chicago Marathon -- Thanks to Allison Bashor
- Montreat, NC -- Thanks to Jeff Lloyd
- Featured in the Gardner-Webb University alumni spotlight for Zach Fisher's accomplishments completing his health care management degree and co-founding the Luka The Lion Foundation
- Engaged with partner organizations including Project Life Movement, NC Rare Disease Council, UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, and UNC Pediatric Hematology and Oncology Department
- Board of Directors met to discuss working groups and planning for the #Roar4Rare Soccer Game on October 16, 2016
How do you #Roar4Rare? Complete our quick questionnaire, Email us, Tweet Us, or join our public Facebook group for The Pride, and like our Facebook page.
UPCOMING EVENTS | Join Team #LukaTheLion
1st Annual #Roar4Rare Soccer Game
Sunday, November 13, 2016 2:00-4:00 pm
Location: UNC Fetzer Hall (Gym)
210 South Road, Chapel Hill, NC | directions | map
- SIGN UP: At www.lukathelionfoundation.org/soccergame to join us for fun, all ages, all levels indoor 7v7 soccer games to benefit kids with rare diseases and their families! Sign up as a soccer player, supporting fan, or volunteer by 10/30 to guarantee your event t-shirt:
- Make a difference: Free to play! Donations welcome. Proceeds go to kids and families in the UNC Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant program in partnership with UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Food and raffle prizes: Pizza thanks to IP3 Italian Pizzeria III. Raffle prizes include: camping equipment rentals, gift cards from your favorite local favorites including Monuts, Bond Brothers, Al's Burger Shack, and more!
- Sponsored by: Tobacco Road FC, UNC Campus Recreation, Jhana, NanaTaco, UNC Fertility, The Storyteller Studios, Perch Studios Coworking - Carrboro, Durham Co-op Market, KitchenWorks, Urban Durham Realty, Mills Rentals, Restoring Balance, The Rock Shop, Anna Kate Design, Sweeps, Gonzo Custom Tees, Crocodile Creek, Cherokee Auto Auction, Townsend Bertram & Company, IP3 Italian Pizzeria III, Bond Brothers Beer Company, Cafe Carrboro, Al's Burger Shack, and Monuts!
Race 13.1 Durham (5K, 10K or Half-Marathon)
Saturday, December 10, 2016 7:30 am (kids holiday fun run) & 8:00 am (race start)
1058 West Club Blvd., Durham
- REGISTER: Click here to register and use PROMO Code "LTL131" to save 10% and a portion of your registration fee will be donated to the Luka The Lion Foundation. Be sure to sign up for Team "#LukaTheLion," too!
- KID'S FUN: The kid's fun run is free with a suggested donation of $5 to the charity partner, Heart 2 Heart Collaborative, or an unused toy that will be donated to Duke Children’s Hospital patients. Holiday Fun Run participants will start and finish through the real Race 13.1 Durham start/finish arch and run a .5 mile loop through the race site. There will be a bounce house, face painting, and Santa Claus himself will be making an appearance!
- VOLUNTEER: Contact julia@lukathelionfoundation if you're interested in volunteering in the Luka The Lion Foundation tent during the race.
AWARENESS | 1 in 10 people have a rare disease. That's 33 million people in the U.S. Half of these people are kids.
WHAT WE'RE READING | #RareDisaeses
SUPPORT | ALWAYS REMEMBER TO ROAR!
#Roar4Rare: Board Members, Emily Gelbum and Erin Murnighan!
These two fierce Luka The Lion Foundation board members raised over $11,500 (so far) in in-kind and cash donations from business sponsors and family donations associated with the #Roar4Rare Family Soccer Game. Hard work pays off! And makes a difference for kids with rare diseases and their families so nobody ever feels alone. Just this month we used a portion of these donations to support a family's unique needs that are unmet by insurance and other resources. Exactly why we #Roar4Rare!
You are The Pride!
1. Need a #LukaTheLion Scarf 2.0?
How can you #Roar4Rare to help us support kids with rare diseases and their families?
2. Do you shop on Amazon? YES!
- Order your scarves today! 100% of sales goes directly to the Foundation to advance our mission.
- The March Forth scarves are limited edition, and we love the touch of the butterfly to honor Luka's older brother and fellow angel, Maks.
3. How do you #Roar4Rare for kids with rare diseases?
- Click here to link up your Amazon account with Luka The Lion Foundation so that 0.5% of eligible purchases can go directly to our nonprofit.
- The trick is you ALWAYS need to start your shopping at smile.amazon.com
- Invite 2-3 people in your life who are AVID amazon shoppers and ask them to link up their account to Luka The Lion Foundation to help kids with rare diseases and their families so they never feel alone
You are The Pride. Kids with rare diseases and their families thank you.
Always remember to roar,
Julia and Zach Fisher on behalf of the Luka The Lion Foundation Board of Directors
- Tell us!
- Donate online to support a kid braving rare disease and their family by providing unique, individualized support.
- Thanks to you, The Pride, we're amazed at our results so far to help kids with rare diseases and their families so they never feel alone.
For more about our story, visit: www.lukathelionfoundation.org