How Do You #Roar4Rare?
Thanks to The Pride of the Luka The Lion Foundation, in this past month, here's how we #Roar4Rare:
- 15 more families braving rare disease received individualized support to meet unique, unmet need including a countertop water filtration system and diapers not covered by insurance -- purchased on AmazonSmile, support for family relocation, and personalized bags of gifts with puzzles, balls, waterbottles and other essentials to have fun in the hospital
- Raised $1,325 for the UNC Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Program on #GivingTuesday with #HealWithMia. Together with the Mia Hamm Foundation and many generous donors, we raised over $15,634 in just one day to help kids and families never feel alone and honor Luka's guiding light..
- Shipped #LukaTheLion scarves out left and right as the perfect holiday gift. Read more about How a Scarf Came to Symbolize the International Movement for My Sons Rare Disease (The Mighty).
- Honored by our Durham YMCA family on the anniversary of Luka's celebration of life -- helping us never feel alone. To reflect on the enduring lessons he taught us: Remembrance of Life.
- #LukaTheLion #ScarfChallenge -- with an unbelievable Photo Gallery show of support.
- St. Augustine beach & lighthouse -- Thanks to the spirit that brought us and the Outleys together -- to infinity and beyond, sweet Connor
- Durham YMCA -- Thanks to our Durham YMCA family
- Luka's Christmas Tree -- Thanks to Beads of Courage
- Engaged with partner organizations including UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Support Program, UNC Pediatric Hematology-Oncology Clinic, DTM Foundation
How do you #Roar4Rare? Complete our quick questionnaire, Email us, Tweet Us, join our public Facebook group for The Pride, like our Facebook page, and watch our videos on youtube.
UPCOMING EVENTS | Join Team #LukaTheLion
2nd Annual #MarchForth Spaghetti Potluck Dinner
More Info Coming Soon!
- SAVE THE DATE: Friday, March 3rd we'll gather to honor Luka's 3rd birthday in heaven and carb up for the Florence Forth race the following morning as we #MarchForth!
- SHARING SPIRIT: Bring a small dish for the potluck or a gift for a kid at the hospital -- to carry on Luka's legacy of sharing. More details coming soon!
Florence Forth Road Race (5K, 10K or kid's cape race -- walk or run, family friendly!)
Saturday, March 4, 2016
9th Street, Durham, NC
- REGISTER: Click here to register and JOIN our team #LUKATHELION Lakewood Y. Everyone who signs up with our team will get a special cape!
- CAPE CONTEST: Florence Forth is a race for super heroes in memory of a super girl. The Cape Contest offers a fun way to express why we run Florence Forth.
- HELPING OTHERS: All proceeds from Florence Forth are used to advance the mission of the Autoimmune Encephalitis Alliance.Over the past 4 years, Florence Forth has raised over $160,000 to educate doctors, fund research and connect families.
AWARENESS | 1 in 10 people have a rare disease. That's 33 million people in the U.S. Half of these people are kids.
WHAT WE'RE READING | #RareDisaeses
SUPPORT | ALWAYS REMEMBER TO ROAR!
Make your online donation or postmark your check to Luka The Lion Foundation by December 31, 2016 for end-of-the year tax purposes. All donations are tax-deductible and will will confirm your donations for 2016 in an end-of-the year letter that will be in the mail on January 1st. If you made a donation at the #Roar4Rare Soccer Game, please contact Julia@lukathelionfoundation.org for a tax-deduction letter. Luka The Lion Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and your donation goes directly to supporting the unique, unmet needs of kids with rare diseases and their families. Thank you to the 200+ people who have made a donation, raising nearly $35,000 in less than one year.
#Roar4Rare: Sean O'Brien
A proud member of The Pride and loyal Cubs fan, Sean knows how to show is support in unique ways. Here's to kids with rare diseases and their families so nobody ever feels alone made possible by Sean and the World Series Champion Chicago Cubs!
You are The Pride!
1. Need a #LukaTheLion Scarf 2.0?
How can you #Roar4Rare to help us support kids with rare diseases and their families?
2. Do you shop on Amazon? YES!
- Order your scarves today! 100% of sales goes directly to the Foundation to advance our mission.
- The March Forth scarves are limited edition, and we love the touch of the butterfly to honor Luka's older brother and fellow angel, Maks.
3. How do you #Roar4Rare for kids with rare diseases?
- Click here to link up your Amazon account with Luka The Lion Foundation so that 0.5% of eligible purchases can go directly to our nonprofit.
- The trick is you ALWAYS need to start your shopping at smile.amazon.com
- Invite 2-3 people in your life who are AVID amazon shoppers and ask them to link up their account to Luka The Lion Foundation to help kids with rare diseases and their families so they never feel alone
You are The Pride. Kids with rare diseases and their families thank you.
Always remember to roar,
Julia and Zach Fisher on behalf of the Luka The Lion Foundation Board of Directors
- Tell us!
- Donate online to support a kid braving rare disease and their family by providing unique, individualized support.
- Thanks to you, The Pride, we're amazed at our results so far to help kids with rare diseases and their families so they never feel alone.
For more about our story, visit: www.lukathelionfoundation.org