A VERY BUSY SPRING
So far this year we have admitted 571 injured or orphaned wild animals for care at our wildlife rehabilitation hospital. Two hundred and seventy-seven (48 %) of these patients came in during the month of May alone.
In May we admitted 51 different species of animals. Mammals made up 32% of our patients (88 individuals) including this Short-tailed Weasel, while birds made up the remaining 68% (188 individuals), like this Belted Kingfisher. We also admitted one gopher snake. Orphaned Cottontail rabbits were the most common mammal patients (34 individuals) and Mallard ducklings represented the most common avian species (57 individuals).
In the next four months, as we progress through our busiest time of year, we will take in approximately 2/3 of our total patient admissions for the year. Every year we set a new record for animal admissions (last year we reached 1,500 patients), and we expect this trend to continue through 2016. Your support makes this all possible.
LEAD TESTING KIT FOR EAGLES
CWC is raising funds to buy an important rehabilitation tool to test for lead poising in eagles and other raptors.
Our goal is to raise $2,800 by the 4th of July to buy the kit and additional test strips, so we can begin testing these animals as soon as they are admitted and help them make a quicker recovery. For more information, read our blog post.
To take action and improve the care of our national bird, donate to our Eagle Lead Testing Fund.