On May 19th TES held its seventh commencement at Mission Road Bible Church. Dr. Tom Schreiner brought a charge to the graduates from the example of Paul in Acts 20:17–35. Dr. Schreiner highlighted the awesome, holy, and joyful responsibility of pastoral ministry, noting that "Pastors are called upon to care for what is not theirs. It's God's church." He went on to spotlight five exhortations from Paul's farewell message to the elders of the church at Ephesus.
1. Live a life of consistent godliness.
Our culture lusts for superstars. How important it is to have faithful leaders who are not a flash in the pan. God wants humble servants.
2. Model unstinting generosity.
A godly life means we’re to be generous and not greedy. Generosity shows itself in hard work and labor for the sake of others.
3. Know that the ministry is not just about the head, but also the heart.
There are great joys in ministry, but it is painful and grievous to see those whom you’ve poured your life into turn away from the Lord.
4. Be ready for anything, including false teachers, persecution—and be ready to battle your own pride.
It's all for your sanctification!
5. Teach the whole counsel of God.
This means you will have to preach an unpopular message.
Congratulations to the TES class of 2019!