In these final days of 2018, I would like to ask you to consider making one final, tax-deductible gift to BRAWS.
Because of YOUR support this year, BRAWS was able to serve over 80 shelters and schools, help 6,000 women and girls, reach 21 counties, 10 school districts, 6 states, and distribute over two million new and unopened pads, tampons, underwear and bras. Your donations gave pre-teen and teenage girls experiencing homelessness the tools they need to go to school and play sports, help formerly abused women feel clean and dignified as they sought jobs for the first time in their lives, and enable families to move out of poverty and into stable homes. Please read about your impact HERE in our 2018 Annual Report!
We are very proud of our accomplishments; however, there is still a lot of work to be done in 2019! Did you know:
- 58% of all family members who are homeless in Fairfax County are under 18 years of age.
- 384,151 individuals in Northern Virginia live at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.
- 66% of adults in families that are homeless were employed.
- A family must earn $33.29 an hour to afford a two-bedroom apartment in Fairfax County.
- 81% of the adults in homeless families are female. 49% are due to domestic violence.
- 30,774 poor school-aged children live in the counties of Loudoun, Fairfax, Prince William, Arlington, & Alexandria.
- 30% of students in a Northern Virginia School District report missing school last year because they did not have access to menstrual supplies.
Given theses statistics, it is ever so imperative that we continue to support our friends and neighbors who need a bit of extra help as we move into 2019. Please consider being part of the solution by contributing a year-end, tax-deductible donation to BRAWS.
What will your gift fund?
$10,000: Buys a two month supply of pads and tampons for 40 local schools, allowing hundreds of girls to receive an uninterrupted education.
$7,500: Provides 375 victims of domestic violence a new bra for their new start in life.
$5,000: Purchases underwear and camisoles for 1,000 of our youngest clients experiencing homelessness.
$1,500: Sponsors a school or community center dispenser and a twelve-month supply of individually wrapped pads and tampons so that all can have access wherever and whenever they need it.
$500: Purchases new sports bras for pre-teen and teenage girls in Northern Virginia, enabling 25 poor school-age children the opportunity to participate in PE and after-school athletics.
$250: Buys 25 boxes of pads or tampons for a PTA sponsored school pantry, allowing students and families to access menstrual products discreetly.
$100: Empowers 50 women in crisis by giving them access to new underwear.
$50: Purchases a month worth of menstrual supplies for those experiencing homelessness, providing basic dignity to five women.
As 2018 comes to a close today, please consider an end of the year gift to BRAWS before midnight. Every women and girl deserves to feel dignified, strong, healthy, and independent - no matter the circumstance.
Thank you so very much and have a very happy and healthy new year!
BRAWS Founder and Executive Director