We are only a few weeks away from Election day and just a week away from the start of early voting. I am truly humbled and energized by the enthusiastic response I’ve received from citizens around the county in support of my replacing 16-year incumbent Doug Smith for Martin County
Commission District 1.
As a Republican voter, you have a clear choice between me,
Jacqui Thurlow-Lippisch – the public servant,
and Mr. Smith – the professional politician.
If we have not had the opportunity to meet, I want to tell you a little bit about who I am and what I stand for. You can also visit my website for more info.
As a Town of Sewall’s Point Commissioner for the past 8 years (two as Mayor), I have been a devoted public servant in the truest sense of the word.
I am not a politician kept in office by unions and political action committees like my opponent, Doug Smith.
I am a true Leader and Advocate for the River
- For nearly a decade, I have worked at the local, state and national levels to fight for the health of the St. Lucie River and Indian River Lagoon and for sending the water south; documenting its plight with thousands of aerial photographs
- I’m an ex-officio member of the Rivers Coalition Defense Fund and founding member of the River Kidz
- I am so devoted to this cause and to educating residents that my blog, the Indian River Lagoon, has 4,000+ subscribers
My opponent has had 16 years to help our river. He has nothing to show for it. The toxic algae outbreak this year was the worst one ever!
I have ALWAYS opposed All Aboard Florida.
My opponent originally SUPPORTED All Aboard Florida until the public backlash convinced him to change his mind.
I have Strong Working Relationships with the City of Stuart, the Town of Sewall’s Point and the Town of Jupiter Island and will bring better working relationships to the Martin County Commission as well.
My opponent does not get along well with others, especially his fellow commissioners. He is ineffective on the County Commission.
I am humbled to receive the endorsement of Treasure Coast Newspapers (The Stuart News), The Everglades Trust, bullsugar.org, individual City of Stuart Commissioners, Nathanial “Nat” Reed, and hundreds of other retirees, working families, small business owners, and long-time residents. Here is a list of my supporters and contributions.
More than fifty (50) percent of my opponent's financial support comes from Special Interest Groups and Political Action Committees (PACs). Corporate entities, organizations and people to whom he will OWE something! Here is a list of the incumbent’s contributions, including PACs and Special Interest Groups.
My opponent's PACs have begun mailing out expensive attack ads against me. One is from the firefighters union and one was likely funded by people from the sugar industry who don't appreciate my statements and positions on behalf of our river.
I am deeply rooted in Martin County.
My family has been in the area since 1952. During my professional career, I have been a teacher as well as a real estate agent. These professions have given me insights into important aspects of Martin County, what it means to work hard, earn a living and educate the next generation. We are not only trying to create a prosperous and healthy community for ourselves -- but also for our children and grandchildren.
These are my priorities:
- As a proven River Advocate and voice for positive change to a broken system, I will continue the fight for the health of the St. Lucie River and Indian River Lagoon. The right political leadership must be in place to find permanent and swift solutions to this man-made travesty.
- Fighting to protect residents from the negative impacts of All Aboard Florida’s passenger rail project.
- Creating a more fiscally responsible government.
- Supporting local businesses and community revitalization efforts.
- Properly funding, maintaining and improving infrastructure.
- Bringing greater respect and civility to the County Commission.
- Building bridges between our municipalities and the County.
Together we can bring a new, more positive energy to the County Commission and address our community's problems. Please vote for me when early voting begins on Aug 20-27 or on Election Day on Aug 30 so that I can serve all of the citizens of Martin County.
Republican Candidate for Martin County Commission, District 1
Town of Sewall's Point Commissioner, 2008-present