Minutes of Wingham Chamber of Commerce, meeting on 28th September 2016 at The Australian Hotel
Meeting opened 6.40pm
Present: Liz Jarvis, Jenny Mckenzie, Donna Carrier, Judi Wills, Steve Wills, Grahame Nash, Simon Brown, Peter Trood, Les Trood, Colin Butcher, Kev Ellis
Apologies: Ian Kennedy, Cathy Palmer, Kerry & Kristian Guppy, Paula Greenaway
Minute taker – Liz Jarvis
Call for Business without Notice: AGM to set date, Database 2429
Minutes of previous meeting – Moved Kev Ellis, Second Colin Butcher
Business arising from previous minutes
- i signs - Unsure if Kim spoke with Barbara, probably up in the air due to Midcoast Council
- Belinda not yet contacted by Donna
- Membership – reminder membership is due to be sent out with minutes
- Kristians drone o/s
- Noted all other action points addressed
- Request for letter of support- Cuddlepie – Stronger Communities – Donna will action
- Letter from Jeremy re Economic Development _ Memo of understanding will cease on 31/12/16, Steve Atkins resigned effective 2nd week Nov, Midcoast Chamber being established
- Letter from Beef Week – Discussion around Beef week events past and future request for support
- Noted that finding right committee is a big part of the success
- They appear to have struggled for committee for last few years
- suggest they attend a meeting and we can give guidance as we did for Car club
- Nomination Myall Lakes Awards – Manning Valley Historical Society DC – as requested
- Letter to Jeremy supporting Midcoast Chamber
- Beef Week
- Response to Sablier
- Membership is down on prior year but now that Website is up it should be easier to encourage members back in.
- Resolved to set deadline date of 21st October for Memberships - as push along
- Nominations only accepted for those that are members by that date.
- AGM notification to go out as separate notification with Nomination forms ASAP.
- Note to include comments re the need to strengthen Wingham’s voice in the Mid Coast Council.
- Reported that award entries are up in numbers which is often a sign of business confidence
- Murals – No word on the two grants applied for/ Caught up with Heather hands from Tursa Employment about using “work for the dole” participants on project when it happens.
- Businesses need to push to get good business stories into paper in parts other than Chamber Pages.
- Wingham Chamber Pages Advertising pricing was discussed arrangements for that page to be formalised and included in Web info (Action Liz Jarvis – Contact Elain Turner)
- Destination Marketing Plan (DMP) is being reviewed by the new council however happy to report that “Manning Valley” will be retained as a brand and they will continue to support it.
- Rotary yet to advise on progress of park fitness equipment
- Reminder to everyone to link from their pages to the Chamber page. 2 ways to do this:-
- Within the copy mention the Chamber and Hyperlink there
- Use something like “Proud Member of Wingham Chamber of Commerce” and Hyperlink from there.
- Meeting time and date to be more obvious in website and Facebook Page (action Donna – Kim)
- For later consideration- Roll Around Advertising banner – charge for adds
- 15 Financial Members
- $500 out for Event Insurance
- Balance $32,277.12
Membership Fees due 21.10.16 , after this date, financial members only will be on website directory and paper profile list– Email to be sent out via mailchimp – Action Liz/Amy
- Meeting have been held 2/9 and 19/9 pre organisation coming along well
- Planning for entertainment / singing in Isabella St
- May have Bed race sponsor
- Possible Window Dressing Competition
- Chronicle often organise it
- Relate to the business
- Encourage creatives in the community to help with window dressing
- Theme to be considered – suggestions welcomed
- Cleavers Images– creative talent – Donna to approach re joining
- Contra arrangement possible
- Noted we need to formalize documentation re contra arrangements (+ Life Members)to ensure such members remain on mailing lists etc.
- Need category for Mailchimp – Action Donna to modify back end
- Clock tower decoration options discussed (Rotary to be approached)
- Corflute Signs – Noted Complain re Drilling into trees – will not be done that way
- Slide in Signs for New Council boards?Action – Kevin to find out how/who etc
- Does there need to be an extra Christmas carnival committee – re entertainment etc to tackle timing/ logistics etc?
All covered during reports
Monthly Newspaper Profiles: 3 potential- Wingham Auto Service, Wingham Well Creative, Greenaways Taxis
Business without notice:
- Col Butchers suggestion to purchase data base of businesses in postcode 2429 was supported.
- Noted that we have sufficient skills amongst us to sort the data in excel
- Go ahead to purchase – Moved Kevin Seconded Jenny
- AGM to be held 26th October.
Meeting Closed: 7.49pm
Next Meeting: AGM 6.30pm 26th October followed by General Meeting
Letter response to -Cuddlepie Beef Week, Sablier, Jeremy, - Donna Carrier
Wingham Chamber Pages advertising Pricing Contact Elaine Turner – Liz Jarvis
Meeting time and date to be more obvious in website and Facebook Page -Donna / Kim
Membership fees due email via Mailchimp – Liz/Amy
Slide in Signs for New Council boards? find out how/who etc – Kevin
Approach Cleavers Image to join – Donna
Mailchimp back end modification - Donna