November 2021 Newsletter
This newsletter is primarily about The Zoning Board of Appeal’s Chair has asked me to update you on the plan to review Northgate’s Special Permit Application. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to get this organized.
ZBA Announces Plan
Northgate’s Special Permit
Date: Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Time: 6:30 pm
Place: Nessacus Regional Middle School Auditorium, 35 Fox Road, Dalton, MA 01226
or Via Zoom Link
The Zoning Board of Appeals will open a hearing on Northgate’s Special Permit Application on Tuesday, November 30, 2021. Current State Law allows up to 100 masked attendees at an indoor event, including principals. Therefore, admission will be on a first-come/first-serve basis. The event shall begin at 6:30 pm.
Northgate’s Application Hearing documents
Northgate’s Special Permit Application and the architectural plans are available on the Town’s website at www.hinsdalemass.com/ZBA/NorthgateInfo or via the links below:
Hearing Outline and Protocols
As you know, the Town ZBA Chair received Northgate’s Special Permit Application on October 18, 2021, seeking approval for their project. The ZBA has scheduled and posted the date, time, and place of the Public Hearing on the matter. The posting also provides the statutory basis and a brief statement of the facts to be considered. The hearing information must be posted at least 14-days prior to the start of the Hearing.
This is an Application Hearing, meaning that an individual or entity has applied for a license, permit, variance, or other types of approval, and the specific board or committee responsible for acting on the request is holding a Public Hearing on the matter, in accordance with Mass State Law.
Most hearings conclude in one session, but if, as anticipated in this particular matter, the ZBA expects that it is likely to take more than one session to decide on this particular Application. Therefore, we have already made arrangements to use the Nessacus Auditorium on November 30 and December 14, 2021. Also, please note that the Chair may change or adjust this plan in accordance with State Law, but we anticipate the hearing will proceed as follows:
November 30, 2021 – Northgate’s Special Permit Application Hearing (Night 1)
- 6:30 pm – ZBA Chair Opens the Hearing. The Chair reads the hearing notice into the record and asks for confirmation of all proper posting procedures. States the ground rules and makes plain that all who intend to speak be courteous and respectful. Speakers shall state their name and address for the record once recognized by the Chair. Introductions of Board Members, and Northgate Reps.
- 6:40 pm – Northgate’s representative(s) present the project for which they are seeking a Special Permit.
- 7:10 pm – Q&A. The Chair shall moderate a Q&A session. No one may speak until recognized by the Chair.
- 8:30 pm – Time Check. At around this time, the Chair will ask ZBA Board members if they wish to stop for the evening and continue the Hearing at a later date. If so, he will need a motion to continue the Hearing on another night. If the Board Members vote to continue the Hearing to another night, the Hearing shall be continued on Tuesday, December 14, 2021, at 6:30 pm, in the Nessacus Auditorium, at which time the ZBA will resume the Hearing. (If necessary, the hearing will be further continued after the Dec 14, 2021 session.)
December 14, 2021 – ZBA continues Northgate’s Special Permit Application Hearing (if continued, Night 2)
- 6:30 pm – ZBA resumes Northgate’s Special Permit Application Hearing in accordance with State Law. Upon the close of the public hearing, whether December 14 or some later date no further public comment will be heard. The ZBA has 90 days from the close of the hearing to make a decision and file it with the Town Clerk.
ZBA Ground Rules for a Public Hearing
All testimony is limited to issues directly related to the subject of this Hearing;
At the time of their comment, speakers are required to:
- Only one individual may speak at a time;
- All discussion is to go through the Chair;
- All participants (active and passive) are expected to conduct themselves civilly at all times;
- Arguments and disrespectful behavior of any kind will not be permitted;
- The proceedings shall be recorded and preserved.
The ZBA asked that we share How to conduct a Public Hearing prior to the Hearing. This document has been provided by Hinsdale’s legal counsel, KP Law.
- State their name (and spell it if requested to do so)
- State their street address
Remote Participation Information
Pursuant to Chapter 20 of the Acts of 2021, this Hearing will be conducted in person and broadcast via remote means (Zoom), in accordance with applicable law. The links to the broadcast are specific to the night on the schedule and are as follows:
November 30, 2021
Northgate’s Special Permit Application Hearing (Night 1)
Time: 06:30 PM on Nov 30, 2021 (Eastern Time)
Meeting ID: 860 6182 6578
Dial-In +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
December 14, 2021
ZBA continues Northgate’s Special Permit Application Hearing (if continued, Night 2)
Time: 06:30 PM on Dec 14, 2021 (Eastern Time)
Meeting ID: 860 2732 8536
Dial-in: +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
When required by law or allowed by the Chair, persons wishing to provide public comment or otherwise participate in the meeting may do so in-person or remotely. Remote participants will need to indicate they would like to speak using the Zoom feature to raise their hand, and dial-in participants will be asked to at times during the Q&A period. However, the committee recommends that those who wish to ask a question attend the public session if possible. The Hearing will not be stopped or postponed due to telecommunications issues.
Other Newsletter News
Pediatric Covid-19 Vaccination Information
All information about clinic schedules, eligibility, and registration can be found at www.GetVaccinatedBerkshires.org.
For more information click here.
The Hinsdale Public Library Open House – November 13
Stop by the library Saturday, November 13, between 9 am and 1 pm.
For more information, click here.
Real Estate and Property Tax Bills Due December 5, 2021
Real Estate and Property Tax bills for the first half of fiscal 2022 were released on November 5, 2021. Bills are due on or before December 5th, 2021.
Click here for more information.
Town Actively Seeking an Administrative Assistant
We are searching for a new Administrative Assistant. If you know someone who might be interested in this 30 hour per week, benefitted position, send them this information, click here. Thanks in advance for any assistance with our search.
Are you signed up for the Town’s Code RED alert system? Hinsdale, in coordination with Dalton and other neighboring towns, is part of a regional Code RED system, an emergency notification service. Code RED sends telephone calls, text messages, emails that quickly and effectively inform residents of the emergent need to protect life and property.
The Town’s Code RED system has a database of residential and business telephone numbers but is not likely to have your cell or email address(es) or know your preferred method of contact unless you have previously provided that information. If you are not on the system, or if your email or cell phone may have changed, we urge you to visit the Code RED website to update your information. You also have the option of signing up for Code RED by filling out hard copy registration forms available at the Hinsdale Police Station or Public Library.
If you have questions or concerns about this information, please contact Bob Graves, Town Administrator at email@example.com.