Updates on the SR 89/Fanny Bridge Community Revitalization Project
July 11, 2016
Margaret Skillicorn, Tahoe Transportation District Community Outreach Specialist
The Tahoe Transportation District is pleased to announce that the SR 89/Fanny Bridge Community Revitalization Project (CA FLAP 89(1) Truckee River Bridge) and CA FLAP 10089(1) Dollar Creek Trail Projects were advertised for bids for construction on June 24, 2016. There is a 30-day solicitation period. As the lead agency for construction, the Central Federal Lands Highway Division (CFLHD) of the Federal Highway Administration plans to award the project to a construction company in mid-August 2016.
When the SR 89/Fanny Bridge Community Revitalization Project was selected into the Federal Lands Access Program (FLAP), the Project Delivery Team* worked to maintain project costs within available funding, while enhancing the scope of the project, and reducing project impacts on the Tahoe environment. Here are a few examples:
*The Project Delivery Team (PDT) is comprised of representatives from the Tahoe Transportation District (TTD), Placer County, CFLHD, Caltrans, United States Forest Service, the Tahoe City Public Utility District and the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA).
- A traffic analysis showed that the western roundabout east of the existing Caltrans Yard could be reduced from 2 lanes to 1 lane, lessening the footprint on the environment.
- Concrete retaining walls will be replaced with rockeries for beautification.
- The existing Fanny Bridge will be replaced instead of rehabilitated, and it will emulate what it looks like today. Replacement includes:
- Removal of the existing piers in the river and replacing with a single span structure
- Adding bike lanes and sidewalks on both sides of the bridge
- Maintaining the existing aesthetics of the Fanny Bridge rail
- Enhanced parking and pedestrian facilities will be in proximity of the new wye roundabout
- Adding gateway signs in the western and eastern (on West Lake Blvd) roundabouts
- Complete streets concept includes sidewalks and bike lanes along the “old” segment of SR 89 from Fanny Bridge to the roundabout on West Lake Blvd.
- Reduced wetland impacts along the new SR 89 alignment through the USFS parcel to less than 0.5 acres
Please find here the latest project schedule:
- Construction is slated to begin late summer 2016.
- Currently there is no set date to break ground.
- Construction is proposed to take two summer seasons (2016 and 2017).
- Construction phase 1 includes the new Truckee River Bridge and SR 89 realignment including roundabouts on either end of the new alignment.
- Once the new alignment is completed, it will be open to public traffic.
- Construction phase 2 includes the new roundabout at the Tahoe City Wye, the rebuild of Fanny Bridge and the creation of a complete street along what will be "old SR 89" (West Lake Blvd.)
The Tahoe Transportation District (TTD) is responsible for the implementation of transportation projects, transit services, and management of transportation programs for Lake Tahoe in the greater Sierra Region. The TTD continuously strives to offer accurate and up to date information about the SR 89/Fanny Bridge Community Revitalization Project through community meetings, eblasts, advertisements, website updates, Facebook posts, one- on-one correspondences and through other appropriate mediums.
Please visit www.FannyBridge.org for the latest updates and project designs, or contact Margaret Skillicorn at suggestions@FannyBridge.org or at 530.550.7578.