Try a favorite family recipe
Broccoli, Red Pepper, and Cheddar Chowder
- 1/2 pound broccoli, bite sized pieces including stem
- 1/2 pound baking potato, chopped
- 3 cups water or bouillon or broth or similar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (I usually used sun dried from the summer crop)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 TB bacon grease or butter
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry ground mustard
- 2 TB flour
- 3/4 cup cream
- 6 ounces/1.5 cups grated Cheddar
- salt to taste
Cut up broccoli and stem into bite sized pieces. Stem should be chopped smaller for quicker cooking.
Saute onion, garlic, and broccoli stem in butter (or can add cut up 4 or so slices of bacon to fry instead with the onion, garlic, and broccoli stem in a pot. Stir in flour to make a roux and once all the flour is absorbed into the grease (about 2 minutes), stir in broth with potato, bell pepper, and spices. Simmer stirring occasionally until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli florets last and simmer for an additional 2 minutes before turning off the burner. Then stir in cream and cheese to melt. Adjust seasonings. Serve.
Recipe can be doubled or tripled easily.