We hope that everyone is keeping happy and healthy and making the most of this beautiful warm weather we have been enjoying over the week.
In this edition find below something for everybody including a drawing activity for the kids, sustainability and how you can protect our oceans, weather information, our club eSailing series and a movie night suggestion!
With the Olympics now complete scroll down to view the results of our sailors who represented Australia.
We would love you to send in a drawing of yourself sailing in a Tackers Optimist for a chance to be featured in the Training Newsletter!
Things you might like to include......
Your friends at Tackers, the Instructors & Assistant Instructors, the boats with the sails up, the weather, a day when you capsized!
Download the activity card by clicking on the image and email this to email@example.com
Over 8.3 billion tonnes of plastic has been made since its mass production began in the 1950s. Only 9% of this plastic has been recycled, the other 91% sits in landfill, floats in our oceans or has been burned. An estimated 8 million tonnes of plastic enters the ocean every year.
Many animals mistakenly ingest plastic believing it to be a food source. This can cause injury, suffocation, starvation and often death. Plastic contaminates our air, land, sea and can enter the human body through the food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe.
What can you do to help?
One simple step you can do, each time you head to the water or ocean Take 3 for the sea! This means collecting 3 pieces of rubbish off the ground, around the waters edge or in the water.
Checking and understanding the weather forecast before any boating activity is crucial for staying safe. Sailors always enjoy a fast ride on a windy day – it is all part of the adventure! If you have confidence in your ability to interpret a weather forecast, this will allow you to go on the water and enjoy the conditions.
The most reliable and recommended source of weather forecast is from the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM). The BOM provides 24/7 weather forecasts and a wind warning service for all Australian coastal waters. Remember – forecasts are a ‘prediction’ and not a guarantee!
The BOM has many options for viewing a graphical weather forecast. You can choose to see a summary of the marine weather forecast, or go a little more in depth and move through the interactive maps thanks to the ‘MetEye’ service. The ‘MetEye’ weather forecasts are very easy to interpret, and are regularly adjusted by Australian Meteorologists to better represent the local conditions.
The BOM issues warnings for winds over 26 knots (48 km/h). Specific Marine Wind Warnings are issues for coastal and local waters areas whenever there are ‘strong winds’, ‘gales’, ‘storm force’ or ‘hurricane force’ winds expected. If you don’t know the definition of the Marine Wind Warning terms, then you should read the following article…
After deciding to sell their zoo in India and move to Canada, Santosh and Gita Patel board a freighter with their sons and a few remaining animals. Tragedy strikes when a terrible storm sinks the ship, leaving the Patels' teenage son, Pi (Suraj Sharma), as the only human survivor.
However, Pi is not alone; a fearsome Bengal tiger has also found refuge aboard the lifeboat. As days turn into weeks and weeks drag into months, Pi and the tiger must learn to trust each other if both are to survive.
E Sailing @ RPAYC is back!
Introducing the Crown & Anchor Series.
The RPAYC eSailing Series will be on the Virtual Regatta (VR) racing platform. Guides and racing tips can be found HERE.
To compete, first create a VR User Profile then register to participate in the eSeries. Members registered will be sent the login/access series code for each series.