The Heart of Statistical Process Control (SPC)
The first step to using SPC is to gain a deep understanding of the variation in your process.
- Variation exists in everything.
- When we’re manufacturing products for customers who expect and demand high quality and consistency in our goods, variation can become a big problem.
- Too much variation leads to rework, scrap, or customer problems.
- A perfect process would be one with no variation. They don’t exist.
- As the variation in our processes is reduced, the output of our processes will be improved.
- That’s our primary goal with SPC: To reduce the variation in our processes and then monitor the process to make sure the variation doesn’t increase.