August Garden Ideas:
Plan a School Garden Open House for late September:
- Open your garden to the public
- Feature student-led tours
- Consider having music, a raffle, or educational activities
- Take photos to share with students and staff
- Recruit garden volunteers for the year
- Ask a local newspaper to write an article to promote your Open House and garden programs!
Plan to participate in Maine Harvest Lunch Week in September.
Weigh harvested produce and keep records. Share results with your principal, Food Service Director, and School Board at the end of the season.
Donate the food! Send it home with families in need, volunteers who help in the garden, or donate to a local food pantry. (Find food pantries accepting garden produce at http://ampleharvest.org/.)
Plan a field trip to an agricultural fair and enter your vegetables in the exhibition (and let us know if you enter your School Garden Grown produce!(. Travel stipends are often available for this purpose.
Check out our MONTHLY SCHOOL GARDEN CHECKLIST to learn more about what this month looks like in the garden! For more information, try out these awesome resources: MOFGA's Planting Calendar, Fedco's Veggie Chart, and Johnny's Planting Calculator and Succession Planting Template.