(Belated) October E-Newsletter
Good afternoon, everyone!
Whoosh! The month of October flew by! In less than a week, it will be Halloween, can you believe it? Then before you know it...the holidays will be here. We just wanted to send a quick update with all that we've been up to behind-the-scenes this past month and give some quick announcements.
Our next PTO meeting is Monday, November 6th at 6:30pm in the Ross Cafeteria. Also, please note that we have some leftover yearbooks that we are selling at this PTO meeting. School years ranging from 2011/2012 to 2016/2017 are available on a first come / first served basis. The cost is $5. Spread the word, and hope to see you there!
Ross has been in the news quite a bit in the last two months, here's a list of some of those mentions:
10.18.17 Girl Scouts collect suitcases for foster kids Source: Eyewitness News (WBRE/WYOU)
10.17.17 Students jam to tunes at Ross Elementary School’s Race for Education Source: Dallas Post
10.15.17 Students ‘Race for Education’ Source: Fox 56 News
10.09.17 Ross Elementary School welcomed Binghamton Zoomobile,
Plans Annual Race for Education in October Source: Back Mountain Community News
10.06.17 Teachers Train in Active-Shooter Scenarios Source: WNEP-TV
09.13.17 Zoo animals visit students at Ross Elementary School Source: Dallas Post
09.13.17 Students get an up-close look at zoo animals Source: Citizens’ Voice
We hope to have an update about the financial success of the Race for Education in our next newsletter. Stay tuned.
Working for the students,
PTO Vice President
- The next Canvas and Cookies will be held on Friday, October 27 from 5pm-7pm at Ross Elementary. Click here to see the flyer.
- Please enter the Monsters Cereal Madness contest daily thru 10/31. If we win, our school could get 10,000 box tops. Click here for the contest link.
- Local Girl Scout Troup #32906 is currently looking for volunteers for Daisy and Brownie Troop Leaders. Please contact Sara Barchik @ 570-259-8167 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Please click here to see the flyer. We also have a link to the event on our Facebook page.
- Our next assembly is the Fabulous Chinese Acrobats on Monday, 10/30 at 9am for grades K-2 and 10am for grades 3-6.
- Local Girl Scout Troop #30102, consisting of 5th grade girls from Lehman-Jackson, Lake-Noxen and Ross Elementary Schools, is teaming up with Brandon’s Forever Home in collecting new or gently used bags for children in the foster care system. Boxes will be available for collection at all 3 elementary schools until October 31. Click here to see the flyer.
- The Ross Elementary Halloween parade will be held on Tuesday, 10/31 at 9am.
- There is an early dismissal on Tuesday, 10/31 (Halloween).
- The Back Mountain Trick or Treat Neighborhood is back this year at the Luzerne County Fairgrounds on October 31st, 6:15 p.m. to 8 p.m. The fairgrounds will simulate a neighborhood and kids will walk the Fairground streets to collect candy. At the end of the neighborhood there will be a DJ, cider and a dance party to end the night. We will have a surprise event for older kids as well. Cash and candy donations are needed. CLICK HERE TO SEE THE FLYER.
- Our next PTO meeting is Monday, November 6th at 6:30pm in the Ross Cafeteria. Also, please note that we have leftover yearbooks that we are selling at this PTO meeting. School years ranging from 2011/2012 to 2016/2017. First come / first served. The cost is $5.
- It’s spirit wear time and this year we have some fantastic choices! It makes a great Christmas gift. The forms will be coming home soon with the students. All Orders and money are due by November 7th. Please make checks payable to Ross PTO. Click here and here for a sneak peek in case you didn’t get a form yet.
- Check out our new calendar page which will house all of our important upcoming events including assemblies, book fairs, field trips, and etc.
- The new Lake-Lehman Makerspace Classroom is looking for donations or re-purposed items for their new program. Examples of items needed include: LEGOs, K'NEX, Lincoln Logs, magnet tiles, magnets, puzzles, scramble squares, spirographs, jewelry making kids, and scrapbooking paper. Supplies may be sent in with your child or dropped off in the Ross Lobby. Contact Mrs. Stanley for more information: 570-477-4309.
- Please be aware that in order to participate in ANY volunteering at the schools (book fairs, field trips, field day, holiday shop to name a few!), you must submit security clearances. The district has a link for volunteers on their webpage which has all the information. If you want to help out and volunteer, please submit the clearances to Ross as soon as possible!