It's going to be a busy few months leading up to the holidays! Check out the latest updates below. On behalf of the PTO, we wish your family a safe and happy Thanksgiving!
Our last PTO meeting was on 11/10/16. Here are some highlights of what was discussed:
- Race for Education Fundraising Update: The Race for Education fundraiser was a success! We raised $9,288.20. Thank you to all the families who sent in labels, donated stamps, and volunteered. We received $361 and 15 books of stamps from the postage stamp request. This helped immensely to offset the cost of postage when mailing out the mailers. There was over 1,600 mailers that went out. We also added a PayPal button on the PTO website as a way to donate. We also reached out to local businesses to join in our fundraiser to support our school and raised $300 in donations from these businesses (included in the total $ that we raised mentioned above).
- Race for Education Day of Event: “Race” day was great! The kids had a wonderful time running/walking laps and dancing to music. A HUGE thanks to DJ Frank Prest for donating his time and playing music for the kids, they LOVED it! A popsicle and water was given to all students that participated in the race! All prizes have been given out to the children and classes. We gave treasure box prizes, extra recess and chewing gum cards, movie and popcorn parties, a pizza party, an ice cream party with Mrs. Bednarek, and gift cards. These were given as an incentive for bringing in labels. The mailing labels are a key part of our fundraiser, without these this would not have been possible. The 2016 Race for Education was featured in the Dallas Post as well as the Back Mountain Community News.
- Christmas Gifts: Mrs. Lombardi discussed the options for the gifts for the children this year. Out of the choices (pencil case, water bottle, knit hats, ornaments) we decided to go with the pencil cases.
- Santa's Workshop: Mrs. Pall & Mrs. Appel decided to go with the "Fun Services" vendor due to their better selection of items. The Santa Workshop will be in the school the week of December 5th. We will have a chance to preview it at our next meeting.
- November Assembly: Shane Burcaw of Laughing At My Nightmare, Inc. will be visiting Ross Elementary on Thursday, November 17th to talk about "asking for help," "doing things differently and celebrating our differences," and making positive choices. Shane is an author, entrepreneur, award-winning blogger, Emmy winning producer, and inspirational speaker. He brings a spirited, humorous approach to everything he does. Laughing At My Nightmare, Inc. is a 501(c)3 nonprofit with a mission to spread a message of positivity while providing equipment grants to those living with muscular dystrophy.
Our next PTO meeting will be held on Monday, December 5th at 6:30pm in the cafeteria! We're having a pot luck holiday party! Bring your favorite snack! Hope to see you there!
PTO Vice President
- Friday, November 11th is an early dismissal and Monday, November 14th there is no school – conferences!
- Lake-Lehman High School Theatre presents Schoolhouse Rock! Live on Saturday, November 12th at 7pm and Sunday, November 13th at 2pm. Please click here for a copy of the flier.
- “Laughing At My Nightmare” assembly will be held on November 17th at 9am. More information about Shane Burcaw and his charity can be found at: http://www.laughingatmynightmare.com
- Kindergarten Readiness – second session (reading) will be held on Thursday, November 17th starting at 9am; third session (math) will be held on Thursday, December 15th and the last session will be held on Thursday, January 26th.
- Spirit day is Friday, November 18th. The theme is favorite sports team theme! This is also school picture make-up day.
- Canvas and Cookies will be held again on Friday, November 18th from 5-7pm at Ross Elementary. All proceeds will be donated to Medical Oncologists of Kingston. Tickets are $15! Please click here for a copy of the flier.
- Lake-Lehman Band’s annual craft show will be held on Saturday, November 19th…come out and get some holiday shopping done! Visit their website for more details.
- Our 1st grade class will have a pie feast on Tuesday, November 22nd!
- Wednesday, November 23rd is an early dismissal and Thursday, November 24th through Monday, November 28th there is no school for Thanksgiving recess.
- Community tree lighting at Lake-Lehman Jr./Sr. High School on Sunday November, 27th at 6pm. Music, Santa, Fire Trucks, cocoa, candy, cookies plus hot dogs. Let’s show everyone that the Back Mountain has the best community! Santa will be making a visit along with his North Pole mailbox setup for letters!
- Our next PTO meeting will be held on Monday, December 5th at 6:30pm in the cafeteria. This meeting will be a pot luck holiday party. Please bring along a snack – a sign-up sheet was passed around at the last meeting (Mrs. Hospodar has the list).
- The 5th and 6th grade dance will be held on Friday, December 9th. More information will be coming home soon.
- Our PTO membership annual dues are $3 per person or $5 per family - sign up forms will be coming home soon. In order to be eligible and participate in any class field trip, members must be signed up by December 31st!
- Check out our new calendar page which will house all of our important upcoming events including assemblies, book fairs, field trips, and etc.
- The new Lake-Lehman Makerspace Classroom is looking for donations or re-purposed items for their new program. Examples of items needed include: LEGOs, K'NEX, Lincoln Logs, magnet tiles, magnets, puzzles, scramble squares, spirographs, jewelry making kids, and scrapbooking paper. Supplies may be sent in with your child or dropped off at Back-To-School night. Contact Mrs. Stanley for more information: 570-477-4309.
- Please be aware that in order to participate in ANY volunteering at the schools (book fairs, field trips, field day, holiday shop to name a few!), you must submit security clearances. The district has a link for volunteers on their webpage which has all the information. If you want to help out and volunteer, please submit the clearances to Ross as soon as possible! Thanks!
- Our PTO membership annual dues are $3 per person or $5 per family. In order to be eligible and participate in any class field trip, members must be signed up by December 31st!