Caregivers Have Needs and Stress…
These are suggestions from two groups. What do you do?
VHL Alliance's "What you need to know" Handbook
(VHLA in US offers support online and by phone)
Many people who were once caregivers say they did too much on their own. Some wished that they had asked for help sooner. Be honest about what and how much one can do. Think about tasks can be given to others and let go of tasks that aren’t important at this time...
Canadian Cancer Society
- Taking care of yourself… Stay healthy
- Ask for help, and accept help from others
- Share your feelings
- Take a break…
🍁 VHL Canada also has a peer support system that specifically involves Canadian patients and families.
For more info: What is Support? page
🍁 We're in these directories:
"in the news"...
- …86 VHL patients from the University Health Network/Hospital for Sick Children [Toronto] was populated into the database. Analysis of this cohort showed missense variants occurring with the greatest frequency, with all variants localizing to the α- or β-domains of VHL -Clinical Genetics. 2019 Nov;96(5):461-467. Abstract only https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31368132/
- Yoga, Meditation & More to Destress: Yes, BUT…
- There are many methods to help us deal with daily stress. In fact, alternative methods such as yoga, mindfulness and tai-chi have repeatedly been shown to reduce stress. But... can they really? And mainly... do they work for everyone? MammothMagazine • Issue 16 • Autumn 2016