*The French version follows*
Another Successful Forum!
Earlier in February, 300 professionals from across the developmental services sector participated in the annual Developmental Services Human Resource Strategy Forum. This forum offers an excellent opportunity to connect with colleagues and ministry officials while engaging in educational sessions, sharing best practices and celebrating successes.
With David Baum caught in a snowstorm that shut down Boston’s airport, Sherry Campbell from Sherry Campbell Group stepped in and gave a great Key Note address about Change and Resiliency.
Assistant Deputy Minister, Karen Chan kept the motivation high by covering some of the successes of the DS HR Strategy to date. We should all be very proud of the work that has been accomplished in such a short time.
Karen Chan, Assistant Deputy Minister at MCSS. | Karen Chan, sous-ministre adjointe au MSSC.
Also unveiled was the new DS HR Strategy website – new look, new feel, new & easier navigation. Check it out at: ontariodevelopmentalservices.ca
"Great conference - keep up the good work!"
« Excellente conférence – continuez votre bon travail! »
Day One sessions included:
- Mental Health in the Workplace
- Workplace Learning Project
- Ontario Registered Pension Plan
- Making a Difference: Core Competencies and the Developmental Disabilities Counsellor Program.
- Leadership from Within – Practical Application of the DS HR Strategy Succession Planning Guide
- Your Hub for Information
- A Talent Management and Succession Planning Guide for Boards of Directors in the Developmental Services Sector
- The Relationship Algorithm
- The Experience of Simulation and the Perception of Preparedness of Developmental Service Worker Students to Practice in Field Placement
- Lawyer Session – Hiring New Employees: Strategies for Effective Hiring and Avoiding Legal Pitfalls
- Core Competencies Refresher
- Fanshawe College – The Students Experience on the DSW Placement
- A Professional Association of Developmental Services Professionals – The Launching of a Work Plan
- Supported Employment – Building and Leading a Supported Employment Program
- Behaviour Based Interviewing
"It gave me ideas and also reassured me that our organization is on the right path in this changing environment."
« Le forum m’a donné des idées et m’a également rassuré sur le fait que notre organisation est sur la bonne voie dans ce milieu en évolution. »
Day One came to an end with the presentation of several awards, a fabulous dinner and a little laughter for the soul provided by Timmy Boyle Upstanding Comedy.
The annual DS HR Strategy Leadership Awards were presented to an Agency and a Direct Support Professional . This year Vita Community Living Services and North Community Network of Specialized Care were the Agency Leadership Award winners for their joint efforts in the development of a Direct Support monthly newsletter and Bonnie Reardon from Christian Horizons was the Direct Support Professional Leadership Award winner.
Day Two brought another round of very informative and relevant sessions, beginning with greetings from the Honourable Dr. Helena Jaczek, Minister of Community and Social Services.
The Honourable Minister Dr. Helena Jaczek and Assistant Deputy Minister Karen Chan were both present at the 2016 DSHR Strategy Forum. (Left to right: DSHR Strategy Co-Chair , Ann Bilodeau, Minister of Community and Social Services, Dr. Helena Jaczek, DSHR Strategy Co-Chair, Barbara Simmons, Executive Director, Community Living Essex, Nancy Wallace-Gero and Assistant Deputy Minister, Karen Chan) | L’honorable ministre, la Dre Helena Jaczek et la sous‑ministre adjointe Karen Chan étaient présentes au Forum de la Stratégie RH DI de 2016. (De gauche à droite : la coprésidente de la Stratégie RH DI, Ann Bilodeau, la ministre des Services sociaux et communautaires, la Dre Helena Jaczek, la coprésidente de la Stratégie RH DI, Barbara Simmons, la directrice exécutive de Community Living Essex, Nancy Wallace-Gero et la sous-ministre adjointe, Karen Chan)
Day Two sessions included:
- World Café – Collaborative Dialogue on Change in the DS Sector
- Intervenor Services HR Strategy: Another Piece of the Puzzle
- Collaboration Between Workplace Learning Project and the Community Networks of Specialized Care
- Core Competencies – From a Direct Support Professional Perspective
- HR Practices in an Evolving Direct Funding Environment
- DS HR Strategy Metrics
- It’s All in the Post
- How Person Centred Thinking is Shifting How We Work
"Keep up the great, fantastic, appropriate professional work!! It is tremendously appreciated."
« Continuez votre travail excellent, approprié et professionnel!! C’est énormément apprécié. »
The Core Competencies Regional Champions made it very easy for people to identify them. (Champions include: Sara Ropp, Doris Maniacco, Debbie Bray, Leslie Steeves, Noor Mufti, Cindy Chappell, Lesa Jansen, Natasha Scheerhoorn, Indu Radhakrishnan and Kim Lepine. Absent: Brigette O'Neill and Claire Market.) | Les champions régionaux des compétences clés ont permis aux gens de les identifier facilement. (Les champions incluent : Sara Ropp, Doris Maniacco, Debbie Bray, Leslie Steeves, Noor Mufti, Cindy Chappell, Lesa Jansen, Natashia Scheerhoorn, Indu Radhakrishnan et Kim Lepine. Absents : Brigette O'Neill et Claire Market.)
Session information was made available on the memory sticks given out at the forum. If you did not receive a memory stick or would like more information about the forum, please contact Ann Marie Binetti, Project Manager, DS HR Strategy, email@example.com.
Thanks to everyone who helped make this year’s forum a success. We look forward to seeing everyone again next year.