Kia ora koutou
There’s been a lot happening since our first update in March 2016.
Some of the highlights have included:
- supporting the extension and implementation of Hutt City Council’s Smokefree Outdoor Public Places Policy to include more public areas (e.g. parks, bus shelters, beaches)
- hosting Dr Tom and his retro ambulance (thank you for your support of this visit, especially Te Awakairangi Health Network). The Dr Tom team performed 100 spontaneous pre-diabetes and heart checks in the community, ran a speaking series on healthy living – and got some excellent media coverage on the prevention cause
- launching the Hutt Valley Workplace Wellbeing Special Interest Group in partnership with the Human Resources Institute of New Zealand Hutt Valley Branch – and holding our first two events
- completing a mapping exercise of our Lower Hutt food environment to see what access our communities have to good, nutritious food (e.g. how many takeaway restaurants are there compared to fruit and vege shops or healthy option cafes in our Lower Hutt suburbs, do people have to take a bus to access a supermarket or grocery store?)
- contributing to the national promotion of water-only schools led by the Ministries of Health and Education
- submitting our view to the Advertising Standards Authority that a firmer stance needs to be taken on advertising unhealthy food and beverages to children
- supporting Council championing workplace wellbeing internally.
We were also very excited to welcome Ana So’otaga
) to the team last month. Ana is our newest Settings Coordinator, and she will take the lead on our work in Education Settings (Early Childhood Education Centres, Primary and Secondary Schools), as well as playing a key role in the Food System.
Some of you will know Ana from her work with Regional Public Health, or her fearsome reputation on defense and mid-court for Convent Old Girls. Please feel free to get in contact with Ana if you're keen to make a change in your education or food setting.
As always, please feel free to get in touch with the team by email
or via our Facebook page.
Healthy Families Lower Hutt