2020 Hike Leader Training Course April 4-5 2020
Hike Leader training consists of a two-day workshop that provides you with the information you require to lead hikes for the Toronto Bruce Trail Club. It is an intensive combination of practical outdoor ‘hands on’ and classroom instruction. Following completion of the course participants must assist on at least three hikes (one of each type minimum) under the supervision of a certified hike leader and plan and lead a graduation hike before receiving their certification.
April 4-5 (9 am to 5 pm Saturday; noon to 5 pm Sunday)
The Community Room at the North York Mountain Equipment Co-op Store, 784 Sheppard Ave. E. [Exit Sheppard Subway at Bessarion Station]
What is covered
- TBTC Hiking policy and procedures
- Basics of map reading and way finding
- How to plan and lead a hike
- Dealing with difficult situations on the trail
- Safety and risk management
- A minimum of 1 year as a member in good standing of the Toronto Bruce Trail Club, Bruce Trail Conservancy
- Completion of the Level C first aid and CPR certification (or proof that you have scheduled the training prior to the date of the Hike Leader Training Course)
- Participation in at least four hikes offered by the Toronto Bruce Trail Club prior to participating in the workshop
Requirements for full Certification as a hike leader:
- Complete the two-day course described above, including First Aid certification.
- Participate in a minimum of three hikes (at least one of each type) assisting a certified hike leader following the completion of the course. Each hike must be done with a different hike leader.
- Successfully plan and lead a graduation hike under the supervision of a certified hike leader.
On completion of the course and the full certification process you will receive a refund of the registration fee of $60.
On completion of the full certification process you will be reimbursed, with receipts, for up to $120 of the cost of the Level C/CPR certification course.
Please contact Peter Leeney at firstname.lastname@example.org for further details. A link for registration will be provided later in February.