Almost 6 weeks into 'sheltering in place' and
we think it’s a great time to brag:
We have some of the best people working for us!
Many of our nurses are working in first-line roles across the province, meeting the demands of COVID-19 in their communities, while others are working less because their regular jobs involve services that are currently not deemed essential. Our staff members are leading the charge in their communities to keep access to reproductive choice available- no easy feat in some of the smaller communities in BC where access is restricted at the best of times. We have been really inspired by John Krasinski’s Some Good News. Right now we are all looking for bright spots and good news, and there was such a positive response from our previous update, we thought you might like to Some Good News Options’ style:
- Our Clinic Supplies Coordinator has been our one “on-site” staff member during this time. Accepting the deliveries that come in and ensuring that our clinics receive the essential supplies they need. Dubbed “Queen of the Office”, the work Lynn is doing allows our clinics to stay open and relevant during COVID-19. Thank you Lynn for all that you are doing!
- Who has been juggling a tremendous amount of unforeseen work during this time? Saira, our Education Coordinator. We initially expected to see a significant decrease in the amount of teaching we were doing when the announcement came that schools would shut down for the foreseeable future. Much to our surprise, sex education has become a hot commodity as schools have taken their education online and need strong content! Saira has been diligently coordinating schedules and communicating with schools to meet their very diverse needs. Although the scheduling itself is not new to Saira, navigating the coordination of online delivery certainly is. Amazing work Saira!
- Our long-time Vernon Clinic Supervisor Carmen was a rock star in the nursing world way before COVID-19 hit, but suffice it to say, she has gone above and beyond during this time. She was even nominated as a health care hero. Carmen works during the day as a staff development officer for nursing and student placement, then two nights a week, for the last 26 years, she operates our Vernon clinic. We <3 you Carmen!
- This past week was also National Volunteer Week. Although most of our volunteers are not currently able to volunteer in clinics, we want to recognize the contributions they make to our organization. We also wanted to make sure our amazing Board of Directors volunteers knew we were thinking about them. The theme for National Volunteer Week is “Cheers to Volunteers” so our Provincial Office team created a little photo collage to cheers and thank our fabulous volunteers for all they do:
- When we think about sheer awesomeness at Options we have to include our donors and supporters. Whether it’s a monthly donation, attending one of our events, a Facebook like or an Instagram follow, Options’ followers are championing sexual health care, access, and education by staying informed and engaged. This level of commitment makes all of our communities safer and stronger. So much gratitude for your big hearts!
- Last but not least, we thought you might get a giggle out of seeing what the “messy desks” of Options for Sexual Heath staff look like at home. We will be featuring these on our social media channels over the next few weeks so you can get more insight into how we are celebrating working from home! And, yes, that is our fabulous Educator Kristen teaching a class from her "messy" desk, complete with condom demonstrator!
We hope you are all keeping safe and well. Thank you for your support for Options!