Infrastructure On the Move
The history of Taiwan’s railroad development manifests the modernization of the city. Ever since its Taipei - Keelung section was completed in 1891, the railroad has facilitated the expansion of the city, delivered raw materials across the island, and thus connected Taiwan with the world.
The “Taipei Railway Workshop” (TRW), now located at the CBD Xinyi District, was designated a site to manufacture and repair trains in 1935. Since then, industrial settlements have burgeoned along the railroad. As time goes by and the industrial settlements have died out, however, the old railroads became axis that link the memories of Taipei City. In recent years, the industrial sites along the railways have gradually been renewed to become cultural settlements, while the lines have turned into cultural corridors. The “TRW”, therefore, plays a key role in this transformation.