HANT BULLETIN: 16th May 2017
Lots of Good (not fake!) News to report to our supporters this time .
Thanks to the generosity of many supporters the final amount paid into HANT’s Bank Account was £846.04.
We did reach our target of £1000 but Crowdfunder charge a 6% fee and Paypal charge 3.4% + 20 p per pledge and some pledges aren’t paid for various reasons such as glitches in the payment process.
But we are very happy with this result and many thanks to our Committee Member Sue Tarr for her quick learning of the process and seeing it though from beginning to end.
And as well as donors many thanks to all who posted, shared, tweeted and spread the message in other ways.
LUSH CHARITABLE POT GRANT
In February we applied to the LUSH Charitable Pot (linked to LUSH products) which offers grants and funding to small, grassroots charities and campaign groups that are often best placed to make a real difference with limited resources.
The LUSH Charitable Pot support small, grassroots organisations around the world that are working in the areas including environment and human rights which are both applicable to HANT’s campaign.
The majority of our funding is allocated to smaller groups who struggle to find funding elsewhere.
And in May we received the fantastic news that we had been granted £2000. In our application we stated:
The project is needed because:
- Action is required to raise awareness surrounding nuclear transport as the nuclear industry uses security issues unnecessarily to avoid consultation and distributing information.
- No other organisation in the Highlands is carrying out campaigning on nuclear transport issues.
- Transport of nuclear materials is a risk and threat to the environment especially in an area which relies on clean seas and air to have successful fishing, aquaculture, tourism and other industries.
What root causes of the problem does it address:
- The lack of information about the risks and dangers to the environment and people of transport of nuclear materials from Dounreay to Sellafield by sea and rail and by air to the US.
- The reluctance of the public to address or question the issues as often regarded as politically sensitive and technically complicated, resulting in a democratic deficit.
- The infringement of human rights due to restriction of information and causing stress through inadequate information about risks.
So these two funding achievements together provide £2800 which will pay for the running costs of our campaign for 2+ years.
PLANS FOR 2017
At a recent HANT Committee Meeting it was agreed to hold the following awareness raising events :
- 29 Jul: Inverness Street Stall - highlighting nuclear rail transport
- 23 August : Public Meeting at Findhorn, Moray – highlighting nuclear transport flights from Wick to US via RAF Lossiemouth, Moray
- 18 September: Georgemas Junction, Caithness – highlighting the site where nuclear flasks are loaded on to trains and public representation at Dounreay Stakeholder Group Meeting. Thurso
- September : College Freshers’ week stalls. : Thurso & Inverness
- 21/22 October: Scottish Green Party Conference, Edinburgh
- 4 November: Public meeting with film Inverness or Muir Hub, Muir of Or, Ross-shire
- 5 December: public representation at Dounreay Stakeholder Group meeting, Thurso
- Autumn: SNP Conference
All of these events are subject to confirmation - please keep an eye on HANT facebook & other social media and local posters for notification and please come along and support HANT’s campaign.
JOINING HANT’s MAILING LIST
Anyone can joining HANT’s mailing list by e mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
JOINING HANT’S COMMITTEE
We would welcome new Committee Members – we currently have 8 and can have up to 15.
If you share HANT’s aims and can spare an hour bi-monthly for Committee Meetings by Skype and helping out at some events we would welcome you.
We would particularly welcome young people (18-40 !) and anyone with campaign experience and / or knowledge of the issues in HANT’s campaign – see website for more details (hant.co.uk)
If you wish to join contact us on : email@example.com or any Committee Member – listed on the website hant.co.uk.
NEW PUBLICITY MATERIALS
By the end of July 2017 HANT will have new HANT leaflets and car stickers which will be available at all events or by e mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
This has been made possible by the funding achieved through Crowdfunder
WATCH THIS SPACE
To keep up with HANT’s campaign position and details of other organisations with which HANT has contact go to hant.co.uk
For more up to date information go to HANT facebook
And to contact us e mail us at : email@example.com
Next Bulletin will be in July 2017 – have a good and safe summer !