This Sunday, March 25 after the 11 o’clock service in the Sanctuary we will have a Church Conference presided at by our District Superintendent, Dr. Candace Lewis, to:
1) Consider selling the parsonage at our Dover Campus.
2) Affirm a proposed purchase of the Boys and Girls Club for $275,000
3) Get an update on the new preliminary plans for a new Social Hall.
If you are a member at New Hope, then you will have both voice and vote at the Church Conference. We did hold a town hall to answer any questions on March 18, but please feel free to contact Paul Lancaster, Chair of the Trustees (email@example.com) with any big picture or minor questions you have about the B & G or the Dover Campus parsonage sale and Joe Kuebler, Chair of the Building Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions you have about the Social Hall plan prior to the Church Conference. Some of you have asked if you can have an “absentee ballot,” but I’m afraid the Book of Discipline doesn’t allow for that.
Prior to the meeting or right after please join our Student and Children’s Ministries for lunch at the 2018 Chili and Soup Cook-Off and Cake Auction in the Boys and Girls Club for only $8. All proceeds will go to support youth and children going to camp and serving on mission trips.
1) Sell the parsonage on our Dover campus- A number of years ago the Trustees of New Hope made a decision to “get out of the property maintenance business” as much as possible. Jesus’ church doesn’t exist to take care of properties, especially parsonages with no clergy living in them. We have no plans to have clergy living in the current parsonage on our Dover campus. We anticipate being able to sell the parsonage for at least $145,000. By our Book of Discipline these funds must be used for capital expenses, so they will be placed in the Trustee Reserve Fund. The Leadership Team of New Hope recommends that we sell the parsonage in Dover.
2) Purchase the Boys and Girls Club- One frequently asked question is why we need to purchase the B & G. 18 years ago we entered into a mutual agreement that the Boys and Girls Club of Tampa Bay would pay to build a facility on New Hope property that we could use at various times. They paid $1.1 million for the facility at that time. In the agreement we could ask them to leave at the end of 20 years with two years notice, but we would also have to pay them based on a 30 year depreciation schedule. That amount would be around $440,000 today or $366,667 two years from now. While we are not asking them to leave, the B & G invited us to consider a mutually beneficial way for them to move in another direction. We have come to believe this is a "good problem" with complicated timing, but in fact, we consider this is an answer to our prayers. On the basis of preliminary plans we anticipate necessary renovations costing between $280,000- $310,000 to create office space, meeting rooms, and a kitchen. Our offices will be located in the B & G on one floor where we have ample and accessible parking. The Leadership Team of New Hope recommends that we purchase the Boys and Girls Club for $275,000.
3) Update on the new Social Hall- We’ll share preliminary plans for a new one story Social Hall, but we won’t have a firm price estimate on this for another month. We do anticipate the new plan coming in around $1.5 million, which is $1,000,000 less than the original two story option, but it is also 20 feet wider.
We will be able to acquire the B & G, pay for needed renovations there, build a new Social Hall, and provide furnishings with the Capital Campaign funds we have on hand plus those that will continue to come in over the next couple of years. Of course, this will only be true if we continue to have such faithful follow through on the commitments we’ve received from all of you. Thank you!
Seeking to be good stewards of the resources God has given us,
Joe Kuebler (email@example.com)
Paul Lancaster (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Pastor Jamie (email@example.com)
P. S. - Children are welcome at the Church Conference, so remember to pick them up from Children’s Ministry before you come to the meeting.