Early Care and Education Facilities
Roundtable Series Highlight:
Financing Child Care Facilities
- Due to COVID-19, it is estimated that two out of five child care centers will be closed permanently.
- A total of $250 MM in state grants will be distributed in the upcoming months under the California Child Care and Development Infrastructure Grant Program. The State’s general fund is the source of $150 MM, which will be primarily for construction and major renovation. The additional $100 MM from ARPA funds will mainly be used to support renovations and repairs of ECE facilities.
- It is critical to have private funding to help leverage public dollars, especially in high-need areas.
- Financing should be combined with technical assistance and training.
- There are financial products available for child care business owners, but many of them are not broadly accessible.