Friday 13 January 2017
Nurses set for industrial action over bed closures at RAH and TQEH
Media Conference: 2pm today at the ANMF (SA Branch) office
Nurses at the RAH and TQEH will meet next Wednesday to consider industrial action due to a decision to cut further bed numbers at both hospitals.
CEO/Secretary of ANMF (SA Branch) Adj Assoc professor Elizabeth Dabars AM said, “Nurses are appalled by this decision which flies in the face of patient demand and is in conflict with commitments made by both the Premier and the Minister for Health over recent months.
'Even this week we have seen patients at both sites waiting in the Emergency Departments and being provided with care in corridors and treatment rooms due to the shortage of beds.'
'This can only worsen if the beds proposed for closure are closed,” she said.
ANMF (SA Branch) has previously committed to holding the government and Department of Health to their word that no beds will be closed until the health reforms underway mean that they are no longer needed.
'These bed closures are being made when there is strong evidence that they are needed to meet current demand.'
The union will recommend ongoing action when it meets with members next Wednesday.
Given that the bed closures are in breach of earlier commitments to reopen beds closed over Christmas, the ANMF (SA Branch) has this morning withdrawn from ongoing consultation forums at the RAH and Queen Elizabeth Hospital (CALHN) until the issues are resolved.
The ANMF (SA Branch) is calling on the Minister for Health to urgently intervene in order that the Government’s commitment on beds is honoured.
A media conference on this issue will be held at 2 pm today at the ANMF (SA Branch) office – 191 Torrens Road, Ridleyton.
Adj Assoc Professor Elizabeth Dabars AM, ANMF (SA Branch) CEO/Secretary - 0402 795 686