Mukurtu CMS and Mukurtu Mobile Development and Support
Mukurtu CMS 2.x is built on the Drupal 7 framework. Drupal announced plans
to end support for Drupal 7 and Drupal 8 in November 2021. This means that Drupal will no longer provide security updates (or ongoing development) for Drupal 7 and 8, and any platforms using those frameworks, including Mukurtu CMS, will need to shift to a different framework on or before November 2021.
This type of end of support for major software platforms is to be expected, and is a common part of the current software development landscape. This change provides an opportunity to reaffirm our core values and reassess our current tools, platforms, and services.
The Mukurtu CMS team at WSU manages the code and provides support services for Mukurtu CMS users worldwide. We remain committed to maintaining an open, community-driven approach to Mukurtu’s continued development and support. Our first priority is to continue to build a platform and process that fosters relationships of respect and trust.
With this in mind, we have begun planning for the short and long term needs of Mukurtu CMS development and support services. We will be releasing more detailed roadmaps and information as we seek input from all of our stakeholders. If you are not on our mailing list please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
to ensure you receive timely updates, you can also follow us on Twitter @mukurtu
and you can check the FAQs
on our website for updates. For now, please refer to the attached timeline graphic along with the information provided below for information on updates and development.
- Mukurtu CMS 2.x will continue to receive security updates, bug fixes, and limited quality of life improvements through Summer 2020.
- Mukurtu CMS 2.x will continue to use Drupal 7.
- Mukurtu CMS 2.x will continue to receive security updates, bug fixes, and limited quality of life improvements starting January 2020.
- Mukurtu CMS 2.x will receive limited new feature development starting January 2020.
- By the end of Summer 2020, users will need to update to Mukurtu CMS 3.x to continue receiving security updates and other fixes.
- This update will be similar in scope and complexity to previous 2.x version updates. We will provide detailed instructions to aid with the transition from 2.x to 3.x as we have done in the past.
- Mukurtu CMS 3.x will be released by the end of Summer 2020, and will be an extension of Mukurtu CMS 2.x. The main practical difference from Mukurtu CMS 2.x to 3.x will be Mukurtu Mobile support. The Mukurtu CMS 3.x release will only be compatible with the yet to be released Mukurtu Mobile 3 application.
- Mukurtu CMS 3.x will continue to use Drupal 7.
- Mukurtu CMS 3.x will include support for the new Mukurtu Mobile 3 apps (iOS and Android).
- Mukurtu CMS 3.x will continue to receive security updates and bug fixes, and will not receive new feature development.
- Mukurtu CMS 3.x will be supported until November 2021, at which point users will need to move to Mukurtu CMS 4.
- This move will not be similar in scope to previous 2.x/3.x version updates, and may require substantial changes to hosting environments and plans. More information will be shared as development progresses.
- Mukurtu CMS 4 will be released by April 2021, and will represent major new development.
- Mukurtu CMS 4 will use a to-be-determined framework
- Mukurtu Mobile 2.5 (iOS only) will continue to work with Mukurtu CMS 2.x sites, and will be supported through Summer 2020, at which time it will be replaced by Mukurtu Mobile 3. Users will need to update their sites to Mukurtu CMS 3.x (see above) to begin using Mukurtu Mobile 3 (see below).
- Mukurtu Mobile 3 (iOS and Android) will be released in conjunction with Mukurtu CMS 3.x by the end of Summer 2020, and will share the same support and development timelines as Mukurtu CMS 3.x, with product support ending by November 2021.
- Mukurtu Mobile 4 does not yet have a targeted release date, but will likely coincide with the release of Mukurtu CMS 4.