Winter Greetings NYSMEAns,
Our first meeting of 2017 held at the NY Aquarium was well attended. It had a vibrant, positive energy and exhilarating atmosphere. Many NYSMEA board members attended, as well as NYSMEA members and invited guests. While dining on pizza and salad we discussed future events and activities such as: It's My Estuary Day, the annual NMEA conference in Charleston, our upcoming meeting at AMNH, grant opportunities, webinars, youth recruitment, the KCC Eco Fest and Student Marine Education Conference, the Submerge Festival, the SCONYC Conference, City of Water Day, and much more.
NYSMEA has the year ahead packed with partner events and marine education activities. The meeting was followed by a very interesting and informative tour of the NY Aquarium. Kim Acevedo, our NY Aquarium guide and longtime NYSMEA member, led a tour on present and future exhibits the Aquarium has planned.
Our joint webinar with Long Island Sound Study and Southern New England Marine Education Association (SENEME) was very successful as we had 52 registrants. The webinar was very interesting, focusing on Long Island Sound climate science.
NYSMEA Board Members and Guests After The Meeting At The New York Aquarium In Coney Island, NY
Next NYSMEA Board Meeting and Special Tour of "Exhibition: Cuba!" at AMNH on Sunday 3/5/2017
What: Board Meeting and Membership Museum Visit
Where: American Museum of Natural History/Department of Education conference room
When: Sunday, March 5, 2017, 11:00am.
Tickets: Super tickets free with membership, guests pay fee that includes membership.
Contact: Lisa Breslof to reserve tickets at 201.921.4158 cell.
Meeting Place: 1st floor security main entrance on Central Park West. Meet Lisa by 10:30am for board meeting. Call Lisa to pick you up if arriving after 11:00am. Meet Lisa at 2:00pm to get tickets if you are a member and coming to visit the Cuba exhibit.
More info: https://nysmea.wildapricot.org/event-2445709
Save the Date!
- February 10-February 12, 2017 NYSOEA Winter Weekend at Taconic Outdoor Education Center nysoea.org
- March 5, 2017 NYSMEA meeting at AMNH in early March. Board meeting and special visit to Cuba exhibit.
- March 18, 2017 sea perch underwater robotics competition flushing meadows corona aquatics center seaperch.nyc
- March 24, 2017 Beneath the seas career day www.beneaththesea.org
- March 25-March 26, 2017 Beneath the Seas SCUBA expo www.beneaththesea.org
- April 8, 2017 SCONYC Conference at Stuyvesant HS sconyc.org
- April 26, 2017 KCC HS Student Marine Education Conference
- April 26-April 28, 2017 KCC Eco-Fest and 4/28 Plumb Beach Cleanup
- May 6, 2017 It's My Estuary Day and Great Fish Count at Kaiser Park, Coney Island
- May 10, 2017 Waterfront Alliance Conference waterfrontalliance.org
- July 15, 2017 City of Water Day waterfrontalliance.org
- The NMEA Conference is in Charleston, South Carolina from June 25-June 29, 2017. Go to marine-ed.org for more information.
- October 7, 2017 International Coastal Cleanup at Kaiser Park, Coney Island
NYSMEA is seeking a new SCONYC representative
NYSMEA can have up to 3 SCONYC representatives who attend Board meetings during the year. NYSMEA has one vote on any issue requiring a vote. A broad range of opinions are welcome during discussion. NYSMEA is one of 8 Member Associations which are city based although representatives sometimes live in the surrounding suburbs.
Meetings are held around once a month(Conference calls and zoom are available). At this time they are all at the apartment of Gail David who has graciously agreed to host these meetings. Discussions at these meetings center around Science Education issues. The organization maintains active communication with the NYSED and NYC DOE. At each meeting there is an opportunity for NYSMEA to report on their current and upcoming activities.
SCONYC major activity is a city-wide annual conference each spring (usually March or April- this year 4-8-17). The conference includes roughly 40 individual workshops, a keynote speaker and an exhibit area. The conference is a single-day event at Stuyvesant High School from 8 AM- 4 PM. NYSMEA and the other 7 member associations representatives are urged to assist with the conference and even make presentations for the K-12 range of teachers who attend.
At each SCONYC meeting dinner is provided. Meetings are usually scheduled for 4:45 - 8:00 PM.
Contact email@example.com with your interest in filling this role.
NYSMEA Partner Programs
Check nysmea.wildapricot.org for links to other events and programs