Other NYSMEA News...
Beach plum in bloom. Credit: Cornell University
NYSMEA has been very active recently in promoting marine science!
The Beneath the Sea Career Day and SCUBA trade show provided recreational and commercial opportunities in marine science for students, scientists, and educators interested in ocean careers and/or studies.
The SCONYC Conference was represented well by several NYSMEA members:
The New York Aquarium recently hosted a Youth Ocean Conservation Summit with Sean Russell for NYC High School students.
- Tom Greene set up a NYSMEA display table and presented about the SEASTAR joint NYCDOE and KBCC program.
- Sarah Richards presented on Clouds, Air and Temperature.
- Lane Rosen presented on the Brooklyn Marine STEM Education Alliance collaborative.
- Blanca Ching organized the presenters for the entire conference.
Spring is a great time to explore marine science outdoor activities and events - there are endless educational and recreational marine science activities available around New York City, Long Island, and the Hudson River estuary.
Save the dates!
- Waterfront Alliance's Waterfront Conference on Thursday, May 12, 2016 aboard the Hornblower Infinity. You can board the boat at the Hudson River Park Pier 40, 353 West Street, New York, NY. Registration and conference details are available at waterfrontalliance.org.
- It's My Estuary Day on Saturday, May 14, 2016 from 8am to 3pm at Kaiser Park, Neptune Avenue, Brooklyn, NY. NYSMEA, NYCDOE, Cultural Research Divers, Brooklyn Marine STEM Education Alliance, John Dewey High School, Rachel Carson High School, NY Aquarium, Science Resiliency Institute at Jamaica Bay, and many other organizations are organizing this marine education event. If you're interested in participating, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NYSMEA Annual Cleanup at Denyse Wharf on Sunday, May 29, 2016. For more information and to participate, contact Tom Greene at email@example.com.
- Horseshoe Crab Sightings and a Salt Marsh Ecology Walk on Thursday, June 2, 2016 from 4pm to 6:30pm at Plumb Beach National Recreation Area on the Belt Parkway Eastbound between Knapp Street and Flatbush Avenue. For more information, contact Alan Ascher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- World Science Festival-Great Fish Count on Saturday June 4, 2016 from 9am to 1pm. NYSMEA, NYSDEC, NYCDOE STEM and the BMSEA are conducting a marine life census at Kaiser Park, Neptune Avenue, Brooklyn, NY. For more information, contact email@example.com
- Hokulea Worldwide Voyage is coming to the North Cove Marina in Battery Park City, Manhattan, NY on Sunday, June 5, 2016. The next stop will be at Governors Island in NY Harbor from Thursday, June 16 to Saturday, June 18, 2016. For more information, contact Dan Clancy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Leslie Morioka at email@example.com.
- The National Marine Educators Association 2016 conference is in Orlando, FL from June 25 - July 1, 2016. Registration and conference details are available at http://www.marine-ed.org/.
- The 2016 NYSMEA Annual Conference will be held at SUNY Stony Brook Southampton in Fall 2016.