<----- THIS LINK IS LIVE! PLEASE CONTRIBUTE! Our volunteers have written over 10,000 SwingLeft letters and Postcards to Voters to register and engage voters in key swing states and to promote vote by mail enrollment.
This voter outreach will make a difference in this election.
We need an additional $900 for postage to get these letters and cards in the mail.
PLEASE HELP if you can.
$5600 raised to date - thank you, donors!
Sept 8 ICG general meeting
Virtual Postcards-to-Voters Writing Parties
- Help more Florida Democrats to enroll in VOTE BY MAIL!
- Supply your own postcards and stamps, or email to request a delivery and help getting started.
- Click here for Zoom link to join:
- Fridays, September 11 and 18, 10:00 am
Virtual SwingLeft Letter Writing Parties - Thursdays, Saturdays
Virtual SwingLeft Letter Writing Parties - Wednesdays
- Wed, Sept 23, and Oct 7 - 9:30-11am
- Wed, Sept 16 & 30 - 7-8:30pm
- Zoom link for all dates here. RSVP for events here.
Phonebanking for Rep. Anna Williams - VOLUNTEERS WANTED
Phonebanking with Indivisible, to voters in key counties in swing states.
- Note: With covid, phonebanking is THE main strategy for engaging voters! Please help!
- RSVP for all dates below to April@friendsofannawilliams.com
- Phonebanking training: Every Tues in Sept, 2-3pm
- Every Sat in Sept, 12-2pm
- Thurs, Sept 24, 5-7pm
- Tues, Sept 29, 5-7pm
Help with Voter Registration
- One 30 minute training required. Then make calls on your own, or with Fran & friends in Zoom meetings.
- Contact Fran Finney to join, and to get zoom dates.
- Sept 13 - Oct 13; Led by League of Women Voters
- Choose among many outdoor events & locations (farmers markets, etc.). Masks and social distancing.
- NOTE: HR County has 3500 eligible individuals who are not yet registered to vote!
- To help, contact Fran Finney (email@example.com, 541-354-1112)
Sept 29 First Presidential Debate (details TBA)
Oct 7 Vice-Presidential Debate (details TBA)
Oct 13 OR voter registration deadline (11:59 pm postmark or online receipt)
Oct 15 Second Presidential Debate (details TBA)
Oct 22 Third Presidential Debate (details TBA)
Oct 14-20 OR ballots are mailed to voters
Nov 3 “Election Day”
- Know and expect that final tally of votes around the country, and subsequent assignment of electoral college votes, will likely take additional days to weeks.
- OR: deadline for receipt of ballot in County Elections Office via mail or drop box is 8pm
Nov 4 - Jan 20 Extreme political/social kerfluffle possible here, along with annual sacrificial turkey rituals.
Jan 20 Inauguration Day
Contact Info for our Legislators
OR: Sen. Ron Wyden - Email 202-224-5244
Sen. Jeff Merkley - Email 202-224-3753;
Rep. GregWalden - Email 202-225-6730
WA: Sen. Patty Murray - Email 202-224-2621
Sen. Maria Cantwell - Email 202-224-3441
Rep. Jamie Herrera-Beutler - Email 202-225-3536
Others: Find your federal reps here.
HR County: Rep. Anna Williams - Email 503-986-1452;
Sen. Chuck Thomsen - Email 503-986-1726
W. Wasco Cty: Rep. Daniel Bonham - Email 503-986-1459;
Sen. Lynn Findley - Email 503-986-1730
Others: Find your OR state reps here.
Spread the word: You can text FUTURE to 64433 …
… to register to vote, or to check your registration.
Congress: Fund Food for Kids
Call/write your 3 federal representatives.
I’m calling/writing to urge you to ensure that the next Covid recovery package includes funding to address the food security needs of poor families, and worsening of food insecurity for kids as the school year begin virtually.
Nearly 14 million children nationwide aren’t getting enough to eat. 3 in 10 Black or LatinX students are experiencing hunger, and at higher rates than their white counterparts. In many school districts, including our own, more than 75% of students qualify for free or reduced school meals. Often, two out of three meals that a child eats each day are consumed at school.
I urge you to (1) ensure struggling families stay nourished through free school meals and increased nutrition benefits; (2) give school nutrition operators funding they need to continue feeding kids; and (3) direct the USDA to extend area eligibility waivers for school meals through the 2020-2021 school year.
Democracy in Peril
Call/write your 3 federal representatives.
For Sens. Merkley & Wyden
I’m calling/writing to urge you to
- Publicly call on McConnell to end the Senate's endless vacations and immediately pass the Justice in Policing, HEROES, Voting Rights Advancement, and Delivering for America Acts.
- Remind the public that the Senate is enabling Trump to undermine our democracy by refusing to act. Then demand DNI Ratcliffe be subpoenaed to testify publicly under oath about why he is stopping briefings about Russian interference in our 2020 election and hold him in contempt if he fails to appear.
- Remind the public that the Senate is enabling Trump's calls for and praise of violence against peaceful protesters by refusing to act. Then demand the Senate investigates domestic terrorism by white supremacist groups, Barr's paramilitary, and their policy sympathizers.
For Rep. Greg Walden
I’m calling/writing to remind you that our democracy is in peril and we are suffering and dying from the pandemic, poverty, and state-sponsored and -encouraged white supremacist violence. I ask you to consider that your refusal to take a stand against Trump and his collaborators as they steal our lives, our votes, and our future not only enables them but also indicates you are one of them.
Making it happen: Week 8
We’re closing in on our goal of 11,300 SwingLeft voter engagement letters! This week, volunteers Heather Nielsen, Linda Shively, Pennie Burns, Nancy Clement, and Sarah Bellinson & friends completed another 325. Woohoo! Gold stars on collars!
We now have 28 active Postcards to Voters writers who have completed and mailed over 1000 fun, friendly handwritten notes to engage progressive voters in Florida. Write on!
Many thanks to Pat Evenson-Brady, Patrick Cornelius, Steve Rudman, Heather Staten, Heather Nielsen, Melody Shapiro, Mary Claire Collins, and Cindy Allen for their generous contributions to fund stamps for our letter/postcard writing projects. And an extra THANK YOU to Pat E-B for her work since February to create all of our letter packets - a huge job. Woohoo! Gold stars on collars!
Many New & Improved ways to get a New & Improved president
- SwingLeft letter-writing: We’ll get you set up with a packet of 25 letters to write, contributing to our goal of 11,300 letters by October! Contact us to request a packet.
- Texting with Indivisible National: Check the training schedule to find a date that works for you, then join any of Indivisible’s texting event dates on the texting schedule.
- ICG Postcarding using Postcards-to-Voters: Send postcards to voters in targeted districts in Florida to promote Vote-By-Mail enrollment. See instructions here to get started, and to pay for your postcards and stamps. Then email Lara to get your packet(s) of 20 spiffy “vote from home” postcards delivered to your door!
- Help distribute Anna Williams yard signs, starting with your friends and neighbors!
- Email ICG to get your Biden-Harris yard sign now. $5 each. Funds our letter and postcard projects.
- And see other options under CALENDAR, above!
Fight Election-Related Disinformation with Indivisible!
People believe sources they trust. Join Indivisible National’s Truth Brigade to share and amplify unified, factual messages to those who trust YOU. Check out the Truth Brigade action kit here. And the Public Resources, Countering Disinformation Best Practices, and the FAQs. And the latest action campaign here.
Join the Truth Brigade and share the crafted factual messages with your friends and with your social media friends/followers.
Covid: the Numbers, the Response
Over 185,000 Americans have died in the last 6 months due to Covid-19. That number is equivalent to a 9-11 attack every day for two months. It’s equivalent to flying a full 737 airplane into a mountain every single day for more than two years.
Trump says, “It is what it is.” That the US is singular in its failure is alternately played down and denied. That each death is the loss of a daughter, a mother, a father, a son, is lost on this mentally and emotionally stunted president.
What’s Timber Unity (and why should I care)?
The short answer on why you should care is that they’re funding the opposition in many OR legislative races and creating attack ads, aiming to capture control of the OR legislature to serve their own corporate interests. One of their generously funded candidates is Jeff Helfrich, running again against Rep. Anna Williams.
Timber Unity was started in 2019 by several log truck drivers who opposed climate legislation because of their concern it would increase fuel prices. The group was quickly hijacked by Andrew Miller, CEO of Portland-based Stimson Lumber Co., and Julie Parish, a GOP state representative who lost her seat in 2018. Miller and Parish took the name Timber Unity and formed the Timber Unity PAC (TUPAC) and two corporations - and, incidentally, threatened the log truck drivers with legal action if they continued to independently use the name.
In addition to Miller, major PAC donors include log trucking companies, agricultural and mining companies, right-wing militias, and Rob Freres, owner of Freres Lumber and the link between Timber Unity and Trump. Both Miller and Freres have been major contributors to Republican candidates and campaigns over the years, donating well over $3 million between the two of them.
While fronting itself as a grassroots movement, and supporting “working families,” Timber Unity is strictly a pro-corporate entity supporting Republican conservative, reactionary candidates in rural legislative races, with the intent of creating an OR legislature friendly to (i.e. willing to serve) corporate interests. TU is particularly targeting the Secretary of State race because of the threat redistricting poses to GOP seats.
In their opposition to climate change legislation, Miller’s and Timber Unity PAC’s interests are aligned with Wall Street real estate investors who own at least 40% of private forest lands in western Oregon, and with corporations such as Koch Industries, owner of Georgia-Pacific and its Oregon paper mills.
TU corporate tactics have included threatening OR wage-earners with job layoffs if climate legislation was enacted. Georgia-Pacific, for example, threatened to close its Wauna Paper Mill. Wauna employees joined Timber Unity believing that if climate legislation passed, they would lose their jobs.
Timber Unity was key in funding and implementing walkouts by GOP legislators during the 2019 and 2020 sessions, which prevented voting on climate legislation and other essential legislation. You might recall (and still be seeing) I-Support-Chuck-Thomsen yard signs referring [obliquely] to “working families” - presumably those same working families that lost out on program initiatives and funding for mental health care, homeless shelters, wildfire management, and other needed services due to the GOP walkouts. The interests of working families are most definitely NOT central to Timber Unity.
[content credit to OST-PDX]