Special Edition - Long Island Craft Beer Week 2017
Today marks the start of Long Island Craft Beer Week, celebrating the thriving craft beer community in Nassau and Suffolk counties, with dozens of events across LI running through May 21. The complete schedule is available at www.longislandcraftbeerweek.com, but here are some highlights you shouldn't miss:
- Pick up a 16 oz. can of Craft Cares 2017, a special collaborative beer developed by the brewers from nine of LI's craft breweries. This year's beer, which was brewed at Blue Point Brewing in Patchogue, is a big, malty red ale. The beer is not for sale but can be picked up at participating breweries and pubs across LI by donating two cans of food for the benefit of Long Island Cares and the Harry Chapin Food Bank. Check the LICBW website for locations to donate and enjoy Craft Cares Red Ale.
- Pick up a free commemorative LICBW 2017 pint glass at participating locations starting at 5 pm on Monday, May 15. The pint glass is free and the participating pubs will have special prices on LI craft beers to fill the glass. Pre-registration is required on the LICBW website up to midnight on Saturday, May 13,
- Attend a homebrew club meeting to share your love of homebrewing and craft beer with fellow enthusiasts. Brewers East End Revival (B.E.E.R.), which is holding its 21st annual homebrew competition at Great South Bay Brewing on May 13, will also have its May meeting at 1940s Brewing in Holbrook on May 15. Handgrenades Homebrew Club will hold its May meeting at Lithology Brewing in Farmingdale on May 16. And both clubs will meet up with LI's third homebrew club, LIBME, for an inter-club social at Brewers Collective in Bay Shore on May 17.
- Take a bus trip to a beer tasting event with Tapped Enterprises' Long Island Beer Bus. LI Beer Bus will have a Brewery VR Throwdown event at Simplay NY in Hauppauge on May 16 with bus pickups at Port Jeff Brewery, Spider Bite Brewing and Barrage Brewing. Also Brewers Collective Beer Co. will take over LI Beer Bus on May 19 to visit some of their favorite beer bars.
- Visit one of LI's 27 craft brewery tasting rooms. Eight of the nine breweries that collaborated on Craft Cares Red Ale are serving as locations for the food donation/beer pickup, so this is a great time to stop in. For more athletic beer lovers, Port Jeff Brewing will hold its annual 15K Run to the Brewery on May 21 in partnership with the Greater Long Island Running Club (GLIRC). GLIRC is looking for volunteers to help at the race and all volunteers are admitted to the post-race party featuring live music and Port Jeff beers. Email HEATHER.GLIRC@GMAIL.COM to volunteer on race day.
We hope to see you at one of the LICBW events. There is more info on our social media feeds, so like our page on Facebook and follow us on Instagram and Twitter. We look forward to connecting with you!