THE MOMENTUM MEETINGS
IT’S A MOVEMENT, NOT A MOMENT.
This email is long enough without my ramblings so here is the information promised! I am honored to have met you! Thank you to everyone who came out 2/2/17.
This is the organization around the #WomensMarch that invited us to #Huddle and offers super practical action plans:
Here is a (traditional) best practices political action guidebook for anyone interested:
This is my favorite piece so far on resistance:
My own (humbly offered) personal recommendations include the following:
1. Pick one, two, or three issues that are personally meaningful to you and monitor/act on those, not all issues, because damn.
Here’s a list and who to know in Philly:
2. Watch your finances. Give what you can and not more. Pre-plan your giving by selecting monthly automatic debit for your one to three issues. No one is better off without you in the game.
3. Have your passport with four years to expiration.
4. Manage any outstanding legal/government issues as able.
And remember self-care! I love you so much. I am so full of hope in just having met you. Please remember that ... and this: Now it is more important than ever to practice self-care. Eat what is right for you. Sleep enough. Exercise without self-judgment and be YOUR best. Give yourself some slack. Recognize the mental toll action takes and remember that WORRY ISN'T WORK without that action. Talk to positive, action-oriented people. ASK FOR HELP. And never, never, never give up. This is a marathon and YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
Another voice on self-care:
And some good news!
PLUS, THE RESISTANCE IS WORKING!
1. Federal hiring freeze is reversed for VA (Veteran Affairs).
2. Court ordered partial stay of the immigration ban for those with valid visas.
3. Green card holders can get back in country.
4. Uber pledges $3M and immigration lawyers for its drivers after #DeleteUber trends on Twitter.
5. Obamacare (Affordable Care Act) enrollment ads are still going to air.
6. The ACLU raised 24M over the weekend (normally 3-4M/year).
7. HHS, EPA, USDA gag order lifted.
8. EPA climate data no longer scrubbed from website.
9. More people of different career/religious/economic/race
backgrounds are considering running for political office than ever before.
10. Acting Attorney General sacrifices job for principles to defy administration on muslim/immigration ban.
11. Democrats boycott Senate Confirmation hearings for Secretaries of Health and Human Services (Price) and Treasury (Mnuchin)
12. MOST importantly, since we live in a participatory democracy, the people are engaged.
Finally, tremendous thanks and kudos to Alisa Lenander, for this Who’s Who in Politics and all the requisite information needed to contact!
2/16/17 at 8pm at The Theatre at East Falls.
3721 Midvale Avenue, 19129
Bring a friend.
You can RSVP here IF you’d like:
(If you’re inclined, our regular East Falls Forward meeting is at 7pm and you’re welcome to join us.)
Thank you to everyone who took the time to write postcards of concern, gratitude, and other! They’re on their way! I will have postcards (postage paid) available again 2/16/17.
I am too privileged not to act, and too privileged to prescribe the actions when other voices are willing. So please, share. I will make all recommendations available to the group. We are 66 strong today.
3.5% to topple a dictator