View this email in your browser
It is illegal to study without a valid study permit and you could face serious consequences. It is very important that you obtain a permit and keep it valid for the entire duration of your study program. If your study permit is due to expire in 3 months or less, make sure you apply to extend it right away.
Skip out on paying an Immigration Consultant or Lawyer. The University of Toronto Mississauga offers free immigration advising to UTM students through the International Education Centre (IEC). Feel free to contact us and speak with our International Student Immigration Advisor for immigration advice, including study or work permit, visas, permanent residency, and much more.
To avoid lost or stolen documents, keep your passport and study permit in a safe place (for example, in your residence room). Instead of carrying the originals, make a photocopy of these important documents, or simply take a photo of them with your phone and ensure that they are encrypted. There are many applications available for download for encryption purposes.
When it comes to your immigration status, part-time versus full-time studies makes a difference. If you wish to work on or off campus while studying, or, obtain a post-graduate work permit in Canada, full-time status during your studies will be required.
Proper immigration documents and a valid passport are essential! When traveling outside of Canada be sure to review your documentation to make sure you will be able to return to the country. For example, if you are here on a study permit you need to make sure it will be valid upon your re-entry into Canada. Your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) must also be valid when you enter Canada.
Be sure not to let your study permit or passport expire! Avoid this headache by applying 90 days before the expiry date. Make sure your study permit expiry date is accurate on ACORN so the IEC can send you reminders to update your documents. We strongly recommend that you apply for a passport renewal at least 6 months prior to its expiry date.
The IEC is here to help anyone that may have questions. Don’t be afraid to drop by our office in the Davis Building (DV2071), send us an email at, call us at 905-569-4716, or check us out online at

Click here to check out more IEC blogs!
Copyright © 2015, University of Toronto Mississauga, International Education Centre. All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
University of Toronto Mississauga, International Education Centre
Davis Building, Suite 2071, 3359 Mississauga Road 
Mississauga, ON L5L 1C6

Phone: 905-569-4716

Email not displaying correctly? Email us.